WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

West Australian Woodshow 2017

Posts

West Australian Woodshow 2017

#1

West Australian Woodshow 2017

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

It's that time of the year again. The West Australian Woodshow was this past weekend. Chris Vesper, toolmaker extraordinaire came to stay, as he usually does, and I spent the weekend on his stand. Usually we get up to some form of mischief, but this year Chris brought along a few boxes of NOS saw files ... which were the very best I have ever seen ... 5" Nicholsons needle files made in Australia and sold last in 1998 ...


And so I spent a couple of days demoing filing saws. It's amazing how many people will stop to watch and ask questions. Got through a few ...

I was also there for the furniture competition. I had entered the Sofa Table (with hidden drawer) ...


This year I won first prize.


Second prize went to this hall table. It was really nicely done with some of the most amazingly fiddleback Sheoak ...


Third prize went to the winner of the past three years in a row. Ian specialises in veneer. This piece had a waterfall edge, the product of a recent workshop run by Michael Fortune ...


He also did this chest, below, which was one of my favourite pieces. The drawers let it down (not dovetailed) ...


Another good piece was this bombe (let down with some poor finishing) ...


There were interesting boxes, although I did not find that these were up to the standard of last year. First prize went to this unusual piece ...


This piece was the second place ...


The winner of the past few years, who has built some amazing boxes, came in third. He actually entered a trio of boxes, and this may have been his undoing. Here are two ...



There were some fantastic embellished turned pieces. This was first place ...


First in collaboration ...


There was also a category called "small treasures". I didn't really get the first place ...


And a last picture, from the carving section ...


Until next year ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#2

Julian

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

Julian

Thanks for posting the photos. There are some incredibly talented woodworkers in Western Australia.

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#3

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

Hank Knight

Congratulations on your First Place, Derek. I admire your table and enjoyed watching you build it.

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#4

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

H.C. Sakman (Chico)

Congrats to you Derek. Other pieces are very nicely done as well, which will make your prize more worthy.

Chico

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#5

JL

Congratulations!


Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#6

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

First, congratulations on the award.

The legs on the other pieces were not classy like yours, especially the marquetry piece. If it had some graceful legs it might have been more competitive. I do wonder how the edge of that table was done.

Thanks for posting all the pictures. Nice stuff, especially the boxes.

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#7

Ellis Walentine

Awesome work

Ellis Walentine

I've judged a lot of competitions in my day, and I must say that the level of work shown here is among the most accomplished I've seen in one competition, juried or not. To have gathered a first place award in this field is quite an accomplishment, Derek. I should put a visit to this show on my bucket list. Very inspirational.

Ellis

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#8

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

roger lance

Derek.....Congratulations on having your work so highly recognized and awarded.

I remember you mentioning that your wife preferred your original table.....winning a first place award sorta strengthens your preference for this piece, no??

What a show.....really impressive work.....that turning next to your table is spectacular!!

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#10

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Thanks Roger. My wife had a change of mind before the Show, and decided she wanted the table. I am relieved - I prefer this one over the old. I am not sure that it won a prize makes any difference to her, or me - judges can be very fickle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#11

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

roger lance

Its always wise to keep the impact/value of others judgement in a measured perspective.

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#12

Outstanding

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

and Well Deserved!

Tremendous show. Excellent work.

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#13

Well deserved award!   


Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#14

Kudos!!

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Congratulations on your reward. Well deserved! Seeing the caliber of competition, you should be very pleased. It is a beautiful piece sir!!

T.

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#15

Awesome all around.  Congratulations!


Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#16

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

John K Jordan

Thanks! Now I know the time of year I want to visit. :)

JKJ

Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

#17

Re: Congrats / very nice work!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.