WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

Posts

Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#1

JL

Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

JL

I have a project that calls for me to make a number of mortises. A hollow chisel mortiser would fill that bill. However, the project only has 8 mortises.

Doing the math, that would come out to be $60+ per mortise if I got a PM 701 mortiser. Yes, I would use it in the future - but how much? I might be able to justify getting a bench machine - but not a floor machine.

Currently, when I need mortises and do that sort of joinery, I often do loose tenon joinery. Zip two holes w/ a router and I'm done. If I really need to do a mortise, I drill out the hole and square it up with chisels.

The project in question is a trestle table. My design calls for a mortise in the feet and in the top portion of the leg with tenons on the upper and lower portions of the leg as well as mortises in the legs for the stretcher and mortises in the stretcher for the wedges which hold it together.

Plywood and hardboard are inexpensive. I can easily make a jig for a router to cut the mortises - takes a little time, but that's it.

Do I need a HCM? Enough to justify the $500+ in costs? Or should I "make do" and use other technology? Would having a HCM widen my woodworking horizons enough to justify the expense? I sell enough of my stuff each year to have to do taxes on my work - but I only usually have write-offs on materials - not major equipment.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#2

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

Dick Coers

I've seen a lot of people rip the parts in half (or start with 2 thinner boards), cut the "mortise" halves with a dado set on the table saw, then glue the stock back together.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#3

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

roger lance

From your own analysis/description of your work, I'd say that you do not need a HCM at this time. I think that your method of making mortises with a router and jig will serve you very well in making this project with its 8 mortises.

I also started making mortises with a router.....and with some simple jigs, found this method to be very accurate and reliable. I briefly moved on to a table top mortiser before I was able to get a floor model with a X-Y table.....never have looked back from there.

But, when I got my HCM, I knew I'd be making a lot of Arts and Crafts type stuff with all its mortises and I was able to get the tool at a significant discount.

You'll know when your circumstances change and your need for a HCM becomes clear.....but, your plunge router and jigs will do you very well for now.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#4

Re: Option To Mortiser

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

From your description, it appears you'll be doing slot mortises rather than square holes such as for spindles. If that's correct, you may have another option which is your router table (if you have one) using up-cut spiral bits. Set the fence, then "drop" your wood onto the bit to cut the slot. No need to square the corners, just cut the corners on the tenons.

Even easier if you have a horizontal router rig.

Now, for something completely different, consider using bridle joints on your trestle leg joints. Easy to cut on the table saw. Depends, of course, on your design.

All that said, I have a bench-top (JBM-5) with an adapted x/y vice from Harbor Freight. Never needed more and don't have room or justification for a larger machine. I plan on using the new Domino whenever possible.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#5

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

Dave Bair

"takes a little time" may be your answer. I have a mortiser and it takes a lot less time to set it up than to create a jig for the router, and mine's a bench-top. If you had a floor model, it would take even less time.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#6

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

William Duffield

When you do the math, you might want to factor in your time as well as depreciation on the machinery. Following up on Mark's ideas, you might want to pay a visit to your nearest Festool dealer, and find out how much time it costs per mortise to do them with the Domino. I like it a lot because it can be very efficient.

My experience with HCMs is also similar to Mark's. Without an X-Y table, an HCM is a boat anchor.

I don't use an HCM any more, nor do I have a biscuit cutter, because I have a Domino that I really like using. It doesn't leave a mess to clean up or to breathe, it's very precise (the tenons always fit), and it's quieter than a router (but not quieter than a HCM with an induction motor). It is quick and easy to set up and put away, especially when you need to change the size of the mortises. It takes me less than 60 seconds, including getting the wrench, disassembling the mortiser, finding the right size end mill, reassembling the mortiser and putting the wrench and end mill away. (Try that with an HCM or the Porter Cable biscuit cutter.

NB, the loose tenons are stylistically inappropriate for A&C and Philadelphia Chippendale chair through mortises.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#7

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

jesse cloud

I have used a number of different high end HCMs and never got as good a result as I do with a router. When I need a really deep mortise, I put a long end mill in my router.

And I agree with William, the Domino beats everything else hands down.

BTW, 8 mortises is about what you can do before you need to sharpen the hollow chisels, a real P-I-T-A. ;) ;)

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#8

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

Jim Dillon

JL, I think your approach using the router is just fine. I purchased a Delta benchtop HCM many years ago thinking it would be useful for A&C style stuff. Couldn't resist the dirt-cheap sale price. Built a bench for it and a nice fence. Heck, I even read the instruction manual. Sure seemed like a good idea at the time. Never used it! Not even to practice!! I just like the router approach better. I say, in your example, stick with what you are familiar with. Jim

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#9

JL

Hmmm.

JL

Okay, I could cut slots in the feet and the top portion of the "legs", cut the tenons in the "legs". Assemble them just like I would a mortise and tenon joint.

I was going to peg the joint anyway as I wasn't going to glue the entire joint.

Something to think about.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#10

If your chisels last for....

Brian Roberts

only 8 mortises.....there is a problem.

Either the quality of the chisel is poor....or the adjustments are off (overheating the chisel and bit).....or....?

I can say when I worked in a cabinet shop with an old floor mounted, pedal operated mortiser we did hundreds of mortises in hard maple, oak, walnut, hickory, etc. without needing to sharpen.

I can understand why you would not like the HCM if that is the experience you had with them.

I LOVED that old machine!

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#11

DNC

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I've cut at least 300-400 mortises with my JMB-5 over the past 15 years. They ain't Clicos, but I've sharpened the augers only twice and the chiseles only once in all that time.

Something's very wrong with either your chisel sets or the way you set them up.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#12

Re: If your chisels last for....

roger lance

I second that experience.....I've cut at least a 100 mortises in QSWO without a need for sharpening using my Powermatic 719A.

Something doesn't compute here.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#13

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

Jerry Nicholson

I bought a desktop Delta HCM 21+ years ago when I was making a baby bed for one of my granddaughter's. Used it then, haven't used it since. It would make a nice little desktop drill press but I don't need a little desktop drill press.

The bed was used by 4 of my grandchildren. It's now in my basement waiting for a great grandchild to come along. Don't know when that might be though.

All in all, the HCM turned out to be a waste of money.

Jerry

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#14

Tage Frid mortising jig

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I've been using a variation of Frid's mortise jig for 35 years. The only time I've been tempted to do something else is when I need to make a bunch of 1/2" square mortises for s bunch of spindles. On one end table, I had to do 38 square mortises. That got tedious.


You can choose to either square up the mortise ends or round over the tenons.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#15

Re: Sharpening Mortice bits!

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Wow, I think I may have touched up only one bit, none of the Auger bits have been touched at all. I did one chest with over 40 mortises without a problem on one setup. I do use a "router bit / saw blade lubricant" prior to starting and occasionally during use. I have a Fisch bench top mortiser and use Fisch bits. I purchased a diamond mortiser sharpener from Rockler, but have used it once in several years. All the bits still look like new.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#16

Yes, Yes.  I was kidding.

jesse cloud

Yeah, I know hollow mortice chisels last for a while before needing sharpening.

I was kidding. Thats what the two "winking" emoticons ( ;) ;) ) were for.

Re: Opinion about getting a hollow chisel mortiser

#17

Re: Yes, Yes.  I was kidding.

roger lance

I knew you were kidding when you said that a Domino was best......

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.