WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Out feed table

Posts

Out feed table

#1

Out feed table

CJ in MPLS

I am going to replace my fixed out feed table on the table saw with a rolling work table. I can made the table match the out feed table height, but that will require slots for the cut off sled and miter gauge. If I make the height of the table equal to the bottom of the miter slots, I won't need to cut up the top surface of the table, but things will tend to drop a bit on the out feed side.

Any thoughts you might share on the height?

CJ

Re: Out feed table

#2

Re: Out feed table

AZ in Colorado Springs

Let the table height match the saw table, and make the clearance slots 1" wide. No need for precision there, just clearance for the leading end of the guide(s) for miter bars, sleds, or your incra box making jig.

This way, the outfeed table need not be lined up precisely, just close.

Re: Out feed table

#3

Re: Out feed table

roger lance

If this rolling outfield table was moved a few inches away from the saw when using your sled or miter gauge, then you would not need to have slots cut into its top.

Just a thought.

Re: Out feed table

#4

Re: Out feed table

Yonak

I agree with roger. When you use the mitre gauge, low long can the piece be ? Would you need an outfeed table for cross cutting ?

Re: Out feed table

#5

Re: Out feed table

CJ in MPLS

I'm still trying to figure out how likely it would be for unflat garage floors to cause catches when the cart is away from the saw a short distance. Mostly, it will be tight against the saw, but for longer boards and/or ones with a bit of character, I might see a few catches.

Re: Out feed table

#6

JL

Re: Out feed table

JL

Cut oversize slots for the miters as others have suggested.

I use roller stands for my outfeed. When I set the height for the stand, I use a level to make it near the height of the table saw.

Re: Out feed table

#7

Re: Out feed table

roger lance

Slots or not, make the table height slightly below that of the table saw.....1/8" or so.

Re: Out feed table

#8

A.J. Hamler

Re: Out feed table

A.J. Hamler

Do the slots. If you don't, the extended bar of your miter gauge will hit anything sitting on the outfeed table. If you make an extra large outfeed table that also serves as an assembly table (as I have), you'll probably find yourself going back and forth from assembly to cutting. For ripping you'll have to move things out of the way, of course, but for cross cutting the bar will go right underneath anything sitting on the table.

A.J.

Re: Out feed table

#9

Anyone have photos?

ronster

I should improve outfeed for my unisaw. I've been using a simple bar with roller balls, but my floor is not level and it's often a struggle.

Re: Out feed table

#10

Kneale Brownson

Adjustable?

Kneale Brownson

Make table height adjustable so you can use it with your jointer and planer.

Re: Out feed table

#11

Re: Out feed table

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Make you table a hair lower than the saw top. Provide a way to secure the table to the saw to prevent roll-away and maintain registration with the saw slots. Cut your slots 1" wide by 1/2" deep but close off the far edge. Make 2 sticks of wood or HDPE 1" x 1/2" to the table's width that you can drop in or take out of the slots for a level work surface.

Re: Out feed table

#12

Re: Out feed table

Ron Pemberton

My out feed table sets between two table saws. I put threaded inserts in the cabinet so I can adjust the height of the table.

Re: Out feed table

#13

Re: Out feed table

Jim Dillon

CJ, when I built my outfeed table I set it a tad (1/16 inch?) below the top of the TS and cut close fitting miter slots in the table reinforced underneath with strips of wood. The outfeed table is attached to the TS with hinges to allow lowering. In retrospect 22 years later, the slots didn't need to be so narrow, and I have never lowered the table to gain shop space. I would still keep the height the same, and retain the miter slots but make them wider. For your rolling table, I would choose the lockable casters, and find some way to temporarily attach the table to your saw to further prevent it rolling around. I use a cheap portable roller to support really long boards to supplement the outfeed table.

If your floor is uneven, I would shim the legs and mark where the shims go and keep them handy. If convenient, you could fasten the shims to the floor with double-sided tape etc.. You could even build shims with an indent to capture the wheel and also serve to keep the table in place. Just some thoughts. Jim

Re: Out feed table

#14

Re: Out feed table

Jim O'Connor

My outfeed table is made from a 10' section of 16" wide rolling conveyors with all the little wheels. I cut it in half so the table is 5' long, put a 14" wide piece of I/2 plywood down the center so ripping narrow stuff wouldn't tend to dig down and jam things up. I turned a 3' dia. roller for the leading edge of the plywood. All this is on a 2 x 4 frame and each leg has a slotted piece sistered to it for leveling. It has worked good for 30 years. Underneath is a variable stack of cut offs ( a real mess). It is completely free standing but only in use behind the TS.

Re: Out feed table

#15

Why do you want to change it?

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

I am going to replace my fixed out feed table on the table saw with a rolling work table.

Hi CJ

You have not said why you wish to change. There is a big advantage to retaining a fixed out feed table - the floor evenness is then never an intrusive factor. Unless you need space, I believe it is advisable to keep the table attached.

Unless you are working predominantly with sheet goods, then a large outfeed table is unnecessary. I work 99% with solid wood, have a contractor saw, and the out feed table is about 12" long. That is enough for my needs.

A rather poor photo ..


If I needed more out feed space, I would only need to do so temporarily, and could make do with rollers.

What is your requirement?

Regards from Perth

Derek

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.