WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Posts

Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#1

JL

Hollow chisel mortising machines?

JL

I've thought about them now and then.

Currently I do a lot of loose tenon joinery by routing a pocket in both pieces and then inserting a loose tenon. For those I saw up and plane 3/8" or 1/2" stock.

When I actually do mortise and tenon joinery, I drill out the mortise and square it up as best I can with a chisel. It doesn't always look pretty, but it does the job.

I was looking at the Shop Fox W1671 mortising machine. It will take up to a 3/4" chisel, it comes w/ a 1/2" chisel and looks to have a decent travel. Thoughts?

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#2

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

roger lance

This is a footboard (headboard has as many mortise/tenon joints) to a bed that was done on a PowerMatic hollow chisel mortiser with X-Y table.....


I'm glad that I have this mortiser......guys with Dominos will have to say whether they do similar work.

I'm sure that every way of making these joints has their advantages.....but, I'm content with the tool I have and have no need/want to replace it.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#3

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Don Stephan

At first I tried making mortises with a Delta attachment on a full size Delta drill press. It was not fun and the mortises seemed a bit sloppy.

After a few years I purchased a Powermatic 719T floor standing mortiser and the difference is night and day. Mortises are much cleaner, the X-Y table is so very handy, and it rolls against the wall when I'm not using it.

Long ago I learned that I could work on inexpensive hand planes or work with Lie Nielsen planes, and didn't want to make the same tradeoff on a mortising machine. The Powermatic was more expensive than many brands, but I don't have to fiddle or adjust it when it's needed.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#4

That is grossly undersized for 3/4" chisel

Dick Coers

It takes a tremendous force to push a 3/4" mortise chisel into hard maple and cherry. You'll find that machine will deflect when working sizes that big.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#5

JL

What about the Powermatic?

JL

Specifically the PM 701?

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#6

maybe...

John in NM

One of my neighbors has that PM -- floor model is it? He has used it for 3/4" and didn't remark on it being too awful.

I used a benchtop model Jet for some big mortises years ago. It was hard, as Dick said, but pushing the chisel through the wood was still not as hard as holding the piece in place. So for occasional use you might get away with the Shop Fox. Doing it every day you'll want a heavier machine.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#7

Yes and no

Michael van pelt

3/4 " is a mighty big mortise to cut especially in hard woods....better off using a 3/8 and taking two passes.........own the Powermatic bench model.......does a great job! I would highly recomend the Powermatic for a hobby user>. Would last you a life time plus! Good luck.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#8

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

See my review of the JET in the Articles section. As it's about the same as your Shopfox I can tell you that 1/2" is its limit for square holes. Have done a bunch with mine



[84 on this cherry Mission spindle set alone]

Key is getting it set correctly [chisel dead-nuts to the fence, gap between bit and chisel] or it can jam and break bits [damhikt] Needs to be secured to the bench.

As mentioned, 1/2" chisel/bit is the limit so plan on double cutting bigger slots.

Rigging a cross-slide vice [think Harbor Freight] will be a seriously nice upgrade.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#9

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Don Stephan

With my PM 719T I have made four 1" mortises in walnut bedposts, but I was really hanging on the lever - I don't think the motor labored, it just was hard to get the 1" chisel through the wood.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#10

Upgrades

John in NM

Any kind of vise that can hold and move side to side with speed would definitely do the trick on that Jet model. I probably would have kept mine if I'd found the right vise (and not found a bigger mortiser with it built in :D )

You can do 3/4" in a pinch even with those little machines. Just not every day as everything is harder - holding the work, making the cut, and pulling out of it - and it would quickly lead to frustration if done regularly. But it can be done now and then without breaking the spirit :D

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#11

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Hank Knight

I owned an early Delta bench top mortiser for years. I hated it two much I avoided using it and would chop mortises by hand before I resorted to the machine. It was finicky to set up, had to be bolted down to the bench to keep it from tipping when I put a lot of pressure on the handle - which was often because it struggled with 3/8" mortises in hardwood, and it was easy to slip out of adjustment. It was a real pain. A couple of years ago, I got a great deal on a practically new Jet floor standing mortising machine. The difference in the old Delta bench-top model and the Jet is astronomical. The Jet is way more robust, solid, very easy to use, and the X-Y table is a game changer. As someone mentioned previously, it doesn't take up much floor space and can be rolled out of the way when not in use. I've not used any of the modern bench top machines that appear to be much more robust than my old Delta, so my experience with bench top mortisers may be dated. However, I'd urge you to consider a floor standing machine if you're considering doing a large number of mortises or mortises of any significant size - 1/2" or greater. You won't regret the expense.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#12

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Stuart Johnson

I was watching a Youtube video where the guy used either a 1/4" or 3/8" to cut out a large mortise. He cut down each side and then the ends leaving a nice mortise with a block in the middle. It was a through mortise so the block in the middle fell out.

I saw it on the internet so it must be the only way :\

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#13

I have a PM 701

Grant Smith

I used to own a Jet, which was rated to handle 3/4 mortise chisels. It worked, and was fine for softer woods. As has been noted, however, it deflected significantly when under a heavy load such as with 3/4 chisels.

I now use a 701 from Powermatic, and it works like a champ. I have used the larger floor standing machines, and they are better yet. I would say the 701 is quite well built. The PM weighs in at 93 lbs, while my old jet was 53 lbs. That difference is quite noticeable in terms of build quality.

One thing overlooked by many is to have sharp chisels and sharp auger bits. study up on how to sharpen them and do so often for best results. I have no issues with 3/4 chisels (the ones included with the mortiser even) in hard maple. I have heard great things about cleco bits, and plan to upgrade when the time is right.

FWIW,

Grant in Iowa

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#14

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Pete in Holland MI

Have a Steel City machine and am pleased. A half inch is about all you want to deal with though, which has been plenty for me.

The machine is one thing, the chisels are a greater topic. The chisels get better in time with use, as the machine marks in the bore of the chisel and drill flutes get polished over time and allow chips to flow better. Did some hand sanding/polishing on mine and work well now. Eventually I need to buy the sharpening tool for the tip though.

A few tips:

1) If the chisel jams up & stalls the motor. Stop it immediately. Pull the chisel from the hole and usually a couple on/off cycles will start the motor and eject the chips.

2) The first hole in a mortise is the hardest to drill. The balance drill easier, as you're usually overlapping holes somewhat.

3) If the chips are not ejecting as they should. Stop the motor immediately. Running longer with jammed up chips will create heat and discolor the chisel, thus drawing any temper.

4) I give my drills a quick shot of WD-40 thru the side ejecting port every 20 or so holes, or when the empty drill really squeals on the chisel.

5) Watch your depth gauge, with the force needed to push the drill into the wood, it is easy to hit the gauge and push past it.

6) Watch for chips between the wood and fence.

Have fun drilling square holes (which blows the minds of your novice woodworking friends, by the way).

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#15

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Rick in Colgate, Wi

I have that model Shop Fox mortiser and it has always worked well for the projects I needed it for. As others have said a better fence would be a big help, also a wider work table for longer pieces would come in handy as well, I got by using roller stands for support.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#16

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Several years ago I purchased a 3/4 hp Fisch bench mortiser. It has a slower speed then the normal bench machines. I have used 3/4 bits with no issue. I do apply router bit / blade dry lube to the inside of the chisel before and during mortising. I did modify the fence and added additional material & have occasionally clamped the material to the fence with quick release clamps when cutting large mortises. I do have a cross slide vice, but haven't felt the need to install it as I have had no problems working with my modified fence. I am a hobby woodworker so time is not an issue. Might have looked at a heavy duty floor unit if I were a production woodworker, but am completely satisfied with my unit.

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

#17

Re: Hollow chisel mortising machines?

Robin Corell in Atascadero

I just saw this and thought I'd share a few thoughts. I have a foot operated mortise machine that is just shy of 100 years old. unless your machine is power feed a small motor is fine because it all comes down to leverage. having used a foot operated machine I would never recommend a bench top machine.

Many of the new chisel/ drill combos will not work in vintage machines but with a custom made set of bushings which are much cheaper i the long run the new chisels will often work.

I'm not sure if this is still true but as of a few years ago Fisch made the chisels and drills for all the jet machines and they used to be one of the best deals around.

If I were just starting out Id get both sizes of domino and skip the mortise machine biscuit machine, and doweling jig.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.