WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

Posts

Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#1

Sofa Table - part V:  A Hidden Drawer

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

It's time to begin building the drawer that will fit this table ...


I must say up front that this is the strangest drawer I have built to date. It is definitely the longest. In fact, I dare anyone to have built a longer drawer (it's about 1200mm long, or nearly 4 feet in the old money).

It is also the ugliest drawer I think I have built - however, that is partly to be expected as it is a hidden drawer, that is, it must blend in with the apron so that no one knows its there (no telling now).

The drawer sides are made from the same timber that will be used for the table top, West Australian Sheoak. This is a pink-brown wood with a fine figure (similar to Lacewood). Here is the slab I started with ...


The drawer is slim - more like a tray. There is just 40mm for the drawer, and this will convert to 30mm of head room after the drawer bottom is added.

Below is a picture of the drawer sides fitted to the interior ...


They run below the Domino-buttons, which double to ensure that the drawer will not tip when extended.

The next step was to glue up the drawer bottom ...


Since the drawer is fairly narrow (about 210mm/8 1/4"), it was tempting to simply use a single board and run it with the grain down the length of the drawer. However I know that this will create problems when the wood expands and contracts. Drawer bottoms need to run across its width. Consequently, boards were sawn and glued together for this purpose. The thickness of the drawer bottom is 1/4".

Below is the drawer bottom being trued on one length and one width. The remainder will be sized at the end.


Drawer Slips

The drawer sides are 3/8" thick, which is too thin for grooves. Consequently, the drawer bottom will be attached with slips. This is how they were made ...

The first step was to score the bottom of the slip. They are being made from the top down, and reverse-engineered ...


There is a 5mm space to the next line (the height above the drawer blade) ...


The groove is going to be 3/16". The drawer bottom will be rebated 1/16" along the sides to fit.


Plough the groove ...



Chamfer the edges ...


I scraped a slight curve on the inside ...


... and then ripped them free on the table saw ...


Back to the drawer

I warned you that this was a weird looking drawer. Here is the drawer front - ploughing the front groove. This has to allow for the lower- and upper overlay to match the apron ...

I will not show you boring pictures of dovetailing, however this is a how the drawer front is constructed ...



With the sides joined, this is how the drawer front looks ...


From this inside ...


The through dovetails at the rear of the drawer look like this (all very rough at this stage) ...


I planned that the drawer would have a working depth of 250mm (10"). The drawer back was attached with a though mortice-and tenon ...



Of course, I did not think this through, and the lower tenon sits where the slip runs. I had to saw it off and fill the hole. Well, it looks like a double mortice-and-tenon. We are the only ones to know the truth ...


Here is a picture of the drawer ...


Below is the drawer extended, with a mock up of the top ...


The drawer can extend much further than this without any droop. I am considering another hidden drawer behind this drawer - by adding another divider. This would also add more rigidity (not sure if this is needed).

Finally, here is a picture of the drawer end of the table alongside the sofa table it will replace ...


We'll complete the drawer next time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#2

not what I would have done

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I would have salvaged the most of the small height as possible. I would have used a 1/8" plywood bottom glued into an 1/8" rebate on the bottom edge of the drawer. This drawer will never see any significant wear so the above arrangement will not wear out with time. Or, just glue thin lumber into the rebate and let it split as the old English drawer bottoms did.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#3

Neat!


Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#4

And made access out both ends


Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#5

Re: Sofa Table - part V:  A Hidden Drawer

Brian Holcombe

Nice work Derek.

I'm curious as to those dominos, why not just use a strip of wood on either side?

Everything looks quite nice, I'm sure your wife will have few hesitations with allowing this replacement to go through.

I'm a bit like that as well, I have a few things around the house I'd like to send into the fireplace but my wife will not have it. Over time I will replace them as I get jobs of a similar vein and can afford the time to build two in tandem. That said, I agree with her on the original console table, I think it's a wonderful design.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#6

Re: And made access out both ends

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Dick, my original design had drawers from each end. Then the overhang was increased, and this meant that there would not be enough extension for each drawer. To be useful, the drawer must fully clear the top.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#8

Re: Sofa Table - part V:  A Hidden Drawer

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Brian, we'll see if my wife still feels that way after the top goes on :)

I may swap out the dominoes for strips of wood. However this set up works perfectly for what the purpose intended: compact, easy to make and strong.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#9

Re: And made access out both ends

roger lance

Perhaps, he is suggesting one long drawer with a divider in the middle.....so you then have the ability to open it from either side......and clear the overhanging top as you have done.

This gives you two drawer compartments.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#10

Slips a modern invention

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I see American and English antiques with drawers rebated into the bottom of drawer sides from an era well before slipped drawers and they have lasted. For a drawer that will see light duty service I would have squeezed every mm of drawer height from the design, but clearly our motivations are different.

For example:

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#11

Roger's correct

Dick Coers

because it looks like you will have to completely remove the drawer to access all the contents. BUT, you would loose the hidden feature of course.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#12

Re: And made access out both ends

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Perhaps, he is suggesting one long drawer with a divider in the middle.....so you then have the ability to open it from either side......and clear the overhanging top as you have done.

This gives you two drawer compartments.

This came up at an earlier time. The drawer fronts are overlay, that is, they rest against the rails at each end. The reason for this is that it creates the appearance of a solid apron.

This design only permits one to open a drawer, and not push the drawer through the carcase. It is possible to have two drawers, each opening outward, but not one drawer which opens from either end.

Or am I missing something?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#13

Hidden compartment.

Barry Irby

I would have made two drawers, one from either end of "ordinary" length leaving a space in the center between them. That space would have become a slide out tray with its own lid as a secret compartment. The lid is to contain the contents when the table is up ended to search for the compartment.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#14

clever design I think

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

.....that is, the "false" apron end. It just looks like an ill-fitted mortise and tenon :) . But that gives away the secret for anyone that knows Derek would know that there was something curious about his M&T joint that didn't fit right.

I do like the legs. Waiting to see what sort of profile the top edge has to go with their curvaceous allure.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#15

not possible

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Barry, the ends of the table have a large overhang. To expose the contents of the drawer requires that it be pulled out.... a lot, past the overhang. That in turn requires the drawer sides to be more than half the length of the table, precluding a drawer from each end.

If the motivation had simply been to have an ordinary table with drawers they would have been conventionally placed on the side of the table, either one or two, where there was less overhang.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#16

Re: Slips a modern invention

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

For a drawer that will see light duty service I would have squeezed every mm of drawer height from the design, but clearly our motivations are different.

Bill, Although the hidden drawer is really just a bit of fun - the aesthetic of the table is not compromised by its addition - there is a planned use for this drawer.

The hidden drawer will be home to all the spare keys: house, cars, office, etc. Finally, all in one place. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#17

well not now

Joseph Piotrowski

that you just told the internet :)

outstanding looking piece of furniture. i been in love of the hidden compartment concept for a long time. I always plan on adding one when ever i can. i collect plans of ones that have it for inspiration. pintrest is great for this.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#18

Hidden drawer

Gary Smyth

I'm enamored with secret anything in furniture. The problem is that once exposed in the presence of even family members the cat is out of the bag. Kids, especially, seem to get delight in showing their friends, and significant others also have little discretion with their friends by demonstrating how clever you are building stuff. With an item as common as keys where access is more often, the "secret" drawer loses its intention May I suggest that you keep the drawer, but use it for something you want to hide and keep that information to yourself for future generation discovery.

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#19

I'm worried...

Tony-Memphis

I built a tall lingerie chest (or dresser as we call them). The top has a frieze that was tall enough to house a secret box. The box is attached to the underside of the top via magnets. The uppermost drawer has to be removed to get to the box. Why am I worried? I forget that it is there! I'm afraid that someday, I won't remember. Oh well, if that happens, somebody will find a few keepsakes and grandpa's retirement watch.

Tony

Re: Sofa Table - part V: A Hidden Drawer

#20

Re: well not now

AZ in Colorado Springs

I included a secret compartment in a table I gave to my daughter and son in law as a wedding gift. I put an extra wedding card and some cash in there. They discovered it almost exactly three years later.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.