WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

Posts

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#26

Re: 01011111

Gary Smyth

In a univer(sity) far, far , away in order to complete my final degree it was determined that computers were so up and coming that their successful programming would be accepted as the foreign language requirement. In as much as high school Latin wasn’t high on my priority list and three years of college Spanish barely got me to Hola! and Kilo I opted for the punch cards and the student “computer time” of 11PM to 2AM. The nerds of today have nothing on the crew cut, slide rule holster, pocket protector, chain smoking techs of the early sixties. It’s all gone now, (my last work was on the then new PDP-10) but I do have a partial box remaining of blank punch cards which are the perfect size and weight for notetaking in the home and shop. I got away before I had anything to do with EB-C-DIK. Buy the way, the earlier "10 kinds of people" was clever indeed!

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#27

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

Richard McComas

Lowe's all ready lost a lawsuit like this about 3 years ago.

http://threepercenternation.com/2014/09/litigation-nation-lowes-pays-1-6m-settlement-over-2x4-labeling/

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#28

Re: Explanations

TomD

The idea it is drying and planing doesn't explain why the 2x4s in old building are actually 2x4.

That said, there is no conceivable advantage to using more wood than one needs to. It's heavier, it is going to cost a lot more, worse for the environment, unless your only concern is carbon capture.

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#29

Re: 2x4

TomD

Do they actually say 2"x4"? it's 2x4, who said anything about inches.

Now plywood... It is exactly 48x96, where appropriate, but the thickness is a whole other thing.

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#30

Re: 2x4

Richard McComas

Melamine sheet are 49x97 and per-finished ply is 48 1/2 x 97 1/2......at least those are what I get at my supplier. Not sure about Home Depot sizes.

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#31

Re: 2x4

Barry Irby

Sheathing grade "plywood" says right on it "Sized for spacing 1/8" at sides and ends". This is the OSB stuff. Failure to space it on a roof can result in a buckled roof.

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#32

And another thought....

Barry Irby

All of us here, well most of us, know that wood changes dimensions with changes in MC. Does the average person in Home Depot or Menards know that? Which day will we measure the lumber? And to what accuracy? Is 3.49" by 1.495" acceptable?

Aren't those studs supposed to be straight? Especially those "center cut ones"?

The hardwood flooring industry has major problems with that pesky wood shrinking ans swelling. Can't we find a judge that will order that lumber to be still?

Mark, get the band back together, I see a major class action.

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#33

Re: And another thought....

altizer50

in that case, I am going after the power company. They have been shorting me, no pun intended, a few volts for as long as I can remember. Don't think I have ever measured a full 120 v at an outlet.

Retirement here I come. :D :b

Re: Where Have All the Good Old Boys Gone

#34

Re: And another thought....

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Had the same problem about 40 years ago in my home. At the time I measured the voltage a few times during the day with my VOM, as it was dropping to near 100 V, I called the power company, they refused to do anything, saying my VOM wasn't accurate to measure RMS voltage properly. At the time I was working at Mallory Controls as an Engineer, so I borrowed a charting type AC voltage unit certified by federal standards. I charted for a couple days, then called the power company again. We had a heated discussion, they installed a new transformer the next week.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.