WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Finial/NoFinial?

Posts

Finial/NoFinial?

#1

Finial/NoFinial?

George Guadiane

This piece is 10 inches in diameter by 23 inches tall. The foot is rosewood. I put a foot on it because I intended to use a rosewood and boxelder finial... It's pretty imposing already, I'm wondering if a finial might be overkill, so your impressions/opinions would be greatly appreciated and strongly considered.

As a side note, it's the tallest piece I've ever done. It's the first piece that I used the Kobra deep hollowing system that I recently acquired. I don't see how I could turn anything taller on my Mustard Monster... I don't have room in my shop for an extension.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#2

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

David Smith

While I don't have very much experience with design and form I will say that it is a beautiful piece just the way it is.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#3

This reminds me of tall forms that....

JamieDonaldson

......John Jordan used to finish off with textured caps that were slightly larger in diameter than the opening. They were either matching or contrasting wood, often had a center button of contrasting material like Pink Ivory, and really provided resolution to the shoulder profile without adding any significant height to the form.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#4

Re: This reminds me of tall forms that....

Paul Grenier

NO finial is my vote

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#5

Re: This reminds me of tall forms that....

George Guadiane

I hadn't really considered that, but I just started working with a guy who has some magnificent rose engine lathes (that he has enticed me to play with)

This one is the third try. It fits, pretty exactly, but it doesn't look right... I haven't given up on the idea though, so doing something magic as a cap might be an excellent idea.


Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#6

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

Dick Coers

I've actually switched to all finials. My greatest concern on it's design is to have the base of the finial flow into the form of the vessel. I don't get carried away with a giant finial, but I think it really elevates the look. I've seen work with smaller vessels, where the vessel looks more like a base for the finial when it's overdone, so scale is very important.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#7

Re: This reminds me of tall forms that....

Roger

Turn a finial and try it for looks. If you don't like it don't use it and save it for another piece.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#8

Re: No Finial...

Jake Niedling

A very nice piece, but I don't think adding a finial would look right for this piece (IMO). I do like the idea of adding an accent collar out of the rosewood around the top opening of the piece. I think it finishes off the top of the vessel.

You could certainly turn a test finial out of pine or popular to determine if you like it or not, before committing to one out of rosewood.

We have all been there with decisions like this. :)

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#9

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Interesting Pschological Issue

Dennis in Southern Oregon

The responses to this post seem to strongly favor "no finial". I wonder what the responses would have been had the piece not been shown tightly framed but instead had been presented with a much taller frame that would allow one to visualize a finial in place.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#10

Re: Interesting Pschological Issue

William Duffield

Further, what if it had been initially presented with a finial, and an ambiguous question, "What about the finial?" Would anyone have suggested that the finial be thrown away?

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#11

The Old "What If" questions...

Jake Niedling

This made me think and also gave me a chuckle. I am glad I don't have to do the "what If" senario's on everything I do now that I am retired.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#12

Re: Interesting Pschological Issue

John K Jordan

I prefer to sketch out the piece ahead of time and decide on things like finial/foot/lid before I start. If I don't, adding one or not later might look like an afterthought or omission.

At this point, I would sketch the outline then try out several toppings with a pencil. Alternatively, try several quick shapes from practice wood, spray black or something, and see what they look like from various perspectives and settings.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#13

Re: Interesting Pschological Issue

George Guadiane

You raised an interesting issue/question and some further things for me to consider.

I've decided to make a low profile rim that extends the current curvature, then make at least one finial to see if it adds anything...

But you're absolutely correct, a different cropping might have gotten a different response.

And thank you ALL for helping me see this piece in a more powerful light. I'm pretty sure that I'll be ecstatic when it's finally complete.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#14

Once Upon A Time...

George Guadiane

I could draw. I still try every now and then, but I'm seriously closer to stick figures than actual forms...

And that makett process is "too professional" for me I guess.

Thankfully, it's not too often that I get to this point and not see outcome.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#15

drawing skill

John K Jordan

I don't think much drawing skill is needed.

I sometime use graph paper, sometimes plain. I sketch one side of a shape while imagining both. (Some people hold a rectangular mirror on the centerline to envision the entire shape.) Then I transfer one side to the other by counting squares if graph paper, perhaps by folding and tracing if it is plain paper. I put the sketches in a 3-ring binder and perhaps look at them much later.

I sometimes sketch a bunch of variations as small drawings then make some full-sized before deciding to turn the wood. The last lidded box I turned was after maybe six sketch variations.


The other way works for me too. If I turn something

The larger the piece, the more perspective and viewing distance affects the shape. Even photographing is a challenge. Fortunately I don't do many large pieces.

BTW, don't get me wrong - I often mount a chunk of wood and just turn. Often that works well too.

JKJ

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#16

On Craft in America

Dick Coers

I watched an episode on Craft in America. The segment on Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada was wonderful. Two men, one from England and another from Japan, credited with starting contemporary artistic pottery in America.

Leach drew everything out and worked to those prints, Hamada never drew anything. For many of the students that apprenticed under them, most were more complimentary of Hamada's artistic spirit, but respected both equally.

I just love that series, should get the DVDs someday.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#17

Ellis Walentine

It needs something, IMO *LINK*

Ellis Walentine

A finial on a very elongated piece like this might be too emphatic -- I'd like to see some options -- but I think there needs to be something at the top to resolve the overall appearance, perhaps a low-rise collar of some sort, raised slightly from the top shoulder, and probably of the same wood as the foot.

Apropos of this finial discussion, I was reminded of one we had about 6 years ago, in the context of a piece I made for CharlieB's pay-it-forward redwood project. See link below.

And, on a total tangent, regarding different styles and methods of work -- and probably worth another discussion -- I was always struck by how coherent systems of thought and workmanship are each self-contained, internally consistent and capable of producing the finest quality of work. As evidenced by Toshio Odate in the Japanese tradition, Frank Klausz in the Eastern European tradition, Alan Peters or Ian Kirby or Edward Barnsley in the British Arts & Crafts tradition, all were masters and they all approached design, craftsmanship and tooling differently, yet totally effectively. Then there are modern masters who follow no particular tradition but borrow from any that inform their vision.

Ellis Walentine, Host


Finials

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#18

Re: On Craft in America

George Guadiane

I'm an antique dealer. I actually owned three Hamada pieces. Two of them had the original boxes...

I bought them from Harold Chang the drummer for Arthur Lyman. Harold studied at the University of Hawaii where Leach and Hamada did some teaching. The University produced a hard cover book about the courses and the people involved. There was a picture in the book with Harold and Shoji. Since Hamada never signed his work, having that kind of identification was invaluable.

Sorry to go on, but that was a high point of my antique dealing life.

AND, it all came together because of Harold's wife/ex-wife/housemate Robin Savoy (Isaacson) a stunning AWESOME story by herself.


This all just reminded me how lucky I have been in my life.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#19

Re: It needs something, IMO

George Guadiane

Ellis, thank you for the "Finials" link. I remember it. At the time I had nothing to add and everything to learn about finials. Not all that much further ahead now, but my review of it was an incredible tutorial.

And for the reminder that there is more than one way to get to "done."

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#20

Dave Turner

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

Dave Turner

The fact that you felt the need to ask the question maybe the answer to your question. An indication that you felt something was missing, whether it be a finial, collar or cap. Or maybe not!

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#21

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

Dick Coers

What does it mean Dave, if he asks on 3 forums?

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#22

It MEANS

George Guadiane

That I'm reaching out to the widest base to get the best information and opinions from people I respect.

That I'm a little insecure?

That I only know of these three turning sites because I'm not very smart?

That....

But thanks for asking a question to make me uncomfortable.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#23

My Sincere Thanks To All

George Guadiane

Turns out that asking IS the answer and I've settled on applying a neck/collar first then (probably deciding not to add a finial).

I have gotten a lot of great information and insight from so many of you...

Thank You All

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#24

You ask 5 woodturners

Dick Coers

You ask 5 woodturners, and you'll get 20 answers. Ask several hundred woodturners and the number of answers could only get so confusing I would never be able to make a decision from that.

Re: Finial/NoFinial?

#25

ask 200 woodturners

John K Jordan

>>>You ask 5 woodturners, and you'll get 20 answers. Ask several hundred woodturners and the number of answers could only get so confusing I would never be able to make a decision from that.

Your basic premise seems unrealistic. Ask two hundred turners and you probably won't get eight hundred different answers. What you are more likely to get is opinions that coalesce into a few reasonable viewpoints.

I consider even opposing viewpoints valuable to provoke thought.

I would never consider such a question as a poll to direct me to the one "correct" decision.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.