Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

Posts

Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#1

Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

Tom Williams

>Boy, Steve, I hope you don't regret letting that one go, once that new power tool is worn out and on the scrap heap. Still, you have to think about production before sentiment...

Tom


J-ironed infill on eBay

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#2

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill!

Jack from Maine

>If I had money I'd own that. Nice plane.---Jack

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#3

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill!

Todd O. Cronkhite Native of Maine

>Jack,

If I had the money I'd outbid you. ;~)

Gosh, that is a beauty isn't it.

Steve, I feel for ya' man. I bet selling this plane is hard on you eh? :~(

Todd O.

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#4

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill!

Steve Knight

>I really hated selling it. But anymore I end up sanding the planes. I hate tools sitting around and not getting used it makes me feel guilty.

I have been without a jointer too long. I have used my edge sander as one and I just go through too many belts and I can't get all of the sawdust caught. Plus accuracy is hard to get with sanding belts. Once they wear a bit things start rounding.

One of these days I will have enough spare cash it will not be an issue (G)

Anyone that wants to come plane some ipe and purpleheart flat is more then welcome (G)

I have not had a power jointer for 4 years now. It slows things down and makes accuracy harder.

Though I think I have mastered the belt sander in these years (G) I was pretty thoughtful about getting a jointer. I had to face the fact that I could not do all the work making a plane by hand. I regretted that but found that�s the way it is. The repeatable accuracy and time and curves just overcame doing it with handtools.

I planed a hell of a lot of purpleheart by hand and that was never fun it is just plane work. I did make a 60 degree 5 pound coffin plane with Japanese iron to replace it.

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#5

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill!

Lyn J. Mangiameli

>" I did make a 60 degree 5 pound coffin plane with Japanese iron to replace it. "

And showed exceptionally good judgment I might add.

Explanation will be overdue, but really will be coming soon

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#6

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill!

Steve Knight

>for such hardwoods like purpleehart and such heavy really helps. and the high angle just makes life easier. I am pretty lazy tuning my user planes so the 60 degree leaves me some leeway (G)

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#7

You...

Rob Lee

>...been taking "tease" lessons???

Cheers -

Rob

Re: Steve's selling his own J infill! *LINK*

#8

From a master.

Lyn J. Mangiameli

>

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.