Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

HNT Gordon Try plane vs Stanley #7

Posts

HNT Gordon Try plane vs Stanley #7

#1

HNT Gordon Try plane vs Stanley #7

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

>I recently purchased a HNT Gordon Try plane (in ironwood) and it has now replaced my Stanley #7, which uses a Japanese laminated blade.

Both are capable of fluffy shavings, but this is not the issue here.

What I have noticed is that I get absolutely FLAT surfaces from the Gordon. I have always had a problem with the Stanley #7, finding on long lengths (say 1 metre) that I get a slight dip in the centre. This is only noticeable when I place two edges together. Planing the two adjoining edges similtaneously did not eradicate this problem. My understanding is that I (unconsciously) press downward harder at the point, which cause the slightly deeper cut. Clearly the HNT Gordon Try plane has a different action. I push it from the rear, forwards, and this is different from pushing the handle of the #7, since the push here is angled downward (?). Since the Gordon is rectangular, the front is held in two fingers, one above and one below the plane. Again, this is a different action to holding a front tote on the #7.

Anyone with similar/differing observations? Cures for the #7?

Regards from Perth

Derek


img

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.