Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Dogwood Institute

Posts

Dogwood Institute

#1

Dogwood Institute

Jack in Blue Ridge

>I attended another class at Dogwood this w/e and these guys are really teaching me alot. I'm such a novice with hand tools so I thought what the heck, I'll take some classes. Craig Satterlee and Jim Stafford have really taught me alot in the 3 two day classes I've had so far. We built a small bench this w/e by hand planing all the boards. Hand cut the dovetail corner joints and the mortices and tenons for the stretcher, which I kept calling a stringer and made Craig correct me and laugh alot. Here's a shot of the one side of the school with the beautiful benches Ron purchased for the classes. I'll send the pic of the project in another post.


img

Re: Dogwood Institute

#2

Re: Dogwood Institute(2)

Jack in Blue Ridge

>Here's the bench we built. This belongs to Craig and is made of Ash and has 40 coats of shellac.


img

Re: Dogwood Institute

#3

Larger Picture

Jeff Schmidt

>Jack,

Do you happen to have a larger version of that picture?

Re: Dogwood Institute

#4

40 coats of shellac?

Todd O. Cronkhite Native of Maine

>Did you really mean 40! If so, why so many?

Todd O.

Re: Dogwood Institute

#5

Re: Larger Picture

Jack in Blue Ridge

>Jeff - by the time I get it down to 40k it shrinks this much. My camera starts out at about a half meg. Do you know how to reduce the pixel without reducing size?

Jack

Re: Dogwood Institute

#6

40 coats

Jack in Blue Ridge

>That's what Craig said. 40 coats of Shellac.

Does seem a bit much but it's some wide open grainy ash so.......

Re: Dogwood Institute

#7

Re: Larger Picture

Dan Donaldson

>Couple of things that you can do. Since this is a jpg, you can vary the compression level to change the byte size. Make it about 640 or so on the long dimension to start with, then change the compression a bit at a time until you get it below 40K. It also helps sometimes to change the color depth to 256 rather that tru color. If you have problems, e-mail me the picture as it was originally, and I will se what I can do with it. I will also tell you exactly what I did.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.