SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

So what is this plane? *LINK*

Posts

So what is this plane? *LINK*

#1

So what is this plane? *LINK*

Christopher Fitch @ Memphis

>I saw this a bit ago..

What is it? It's not in the Blood and Gore...

Anyone?


Ultra Rare Stanley Shuttle plane

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#2

Re: So what is this plane?

Scott in Douglassville, PA

>Man, that's got "weird" written all over it - guy's only got 13 comments in his feedback file, plane starts at $1 and goes to $500 in two bids...

Maybe I'm just feeling cynical today.

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#3

I Might be wrong - 602?

Andrew F in Australia

>but it could be a Bedrock 602 - they were too small to put numbers on to.

But, then again, early patent dates and later model bedrock ?????

Cheers,

Andrew

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#4

Re: I Might be wrong - 602?

joel

>the 602 have numbers on them (at any rate mine does) this might be a shuttle plane - but I want to check some references. '

the guy isn't a specialist tool seller - and the plane if it is what it is is worth probably in the 1000's (I ond't know as I don't collect and follow odd stanley stuff). In any case I don't think it will reach true market value on ebay.

(if it's real)

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#5

Loom shuttle plane?

Luke Herzberg

>Now, I'm no weaver, but why would a loom shuttle, a fairly non-precise piece of equipment, require a specialized truing tool? And if such a tool existed, I would expect it to have a curved blade of some sort for shaping the shuttle ends. And if this specialized tool did not require a curved blade, and in fact looked like a typical flat soled #3 (or thereabout), why would Stanley make it in the first place?

And why did some nut pay $500?

Apparently in a sour mood today,

Luke

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#6

Re: So what is this plane?

Tom MacGregor

>I poked around in the buyer's feedback. He's bought almost $1200 in early planes & parts just since Jan. 1st, and has sold nothing on ebay. Sounds like he might know something... I'd love to see a positive ID on that plane.

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#7

Re: Loom shuttle plane?

Hank Knight

>I don't know about the Stanley "shuttle plane," but wooden shuttles were far from "non-precise." An out-of-balance or damaged shuttle could ruin many yards of woven fabric on an old Draper loom and result in the loss of big bucks, so keeping them in order was a priority. The old wooden shuttles were relatively expensive, so they were maintained and repaired at the mill. Weave mills had "fixers" who were responsible for maintianing and repairing looms. At least one fixer in each mill was the "shuttle guy" who kept the shuttles in order. If the fixer couldn't repair a shuttle on the weave floor, it went to the mill shop where it was repaired by an experienced woodworker. I would not be surprised if there were not specialty planes for the purpose. There were many specialized tools in the textile industry.

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#8

No weaver am I

Luke Herzberg

>I stand corrected on the precise nature of the shuttles.

And, if that thing pictured on e-bay turns out to be related in any way to shuttles, looms or a specialized tool for ANYTHING, I'll print out my post and consume it. Mmmmm, papery. : )

- Luke

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#9

It does appear to be a shuttle plane *LINK*

Steve Reynolds

>The plane in the ebay photo matches Patrick Leach's description of the shuttle plane. It doesn't have the fence or the frame that the plane uses as a sort of shooting board.


L20-82E-HFL

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#10

Re: No weaver am I

Hank Knight

>Luke, I work with a lot of guys in the textile industry. I'll try to find out if Stanley, or anybody else, made a specialty plane for shuttles and post the info if I find out. Not to force you to consume your post, but just out of general curisoity. Most of the old timers that would have worked on wooden shuttles are gone. Those looms that remain use small steel "carriers" rather than the old wooden shuttles, or no carriers at all (air jets do the work). It might be hard to find anyone who remembers the old tools.

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#11

Re: It does appear to be a shuttle plane

Bob Nelson

>On pages 234-235, Smith's PTAMPIA pictures and discusses a Stanley shuttle plane used to make loom shuttles just like the guy described. HOWEVER, to my eye, the plane Smith pictures is NOT the one this guy's selling. So were there different types or ??? If it is a legitimate shuttle plane, it's easily worth (to a serious Stanley collector) a few thousand. Bob

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#12

Doesn't quite look like this'n... *LINK*

Scott in Douglassville, PA

>Stanley Rule & Level : Rare "Shuttle" Plane. Marked Hfl L 2082 E"

The main difference between this'n and the eBay one is the tapped holes for (I assume) attaching some sort of carriage, which the MJD description says was a rare feature anyway. Otherwise, pert-near similar...


Stanley Rule & Level : Rare "Shuttle" Plane

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#13

Re: Doesn't quite look like this'n...

William R. Duffield, on the Cohansey

>...and the Leachmeister's OldTools explanation of factory modifications (to convert the overstock to make them work like a regular smoother) appear to explain the visible differences. Whether the modified ones are as rare as, or as valuable as, the original dogwood planes is still an issue (to collectors).

Re: So what is this plane? *LINK*

#14

Re: It does appear to be a shuttle plane *LINK*

Steve Reynolds

>I updated the DATAMP record for the shuttle-planer. The patent is not for a plane, but the holder for the shuttles and a fence/depthstop that attaches to any Bailey style plane. My take is that once Stanley obtained rights for the invention, they designed a plane that was special for the shuttle holding frames. I don't know if Leeds ever produced any planes himself, or if Stanley ever reworked any shuttle planes for sale as ordinary smoothers. I also have no idea if the plane for auction is the real McCoy, but note that it fits Pat Leach's description.

Regards,

Steve


Shuttle-Planer

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.