Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Hide glue

Posts

Hide glue

#1

Hide glue

Wiley Horne--Glendora CA

>Hi Folks,

Once you've mixed up a batch of hide glue, can it be stored and reheated? Seems a shame to throw it out after a single session. But if stored and reheated, does it lose strength? And does it need to be refrigerated?

Thanks in advance, Wiley

Re: Hide glue

#2

Re: Hide glue

Ed Snow

>It does lose its strength if it is just congealed to room temp and reheated repeatedly. However, if the glue is kept in a baby food of jam jar with a cover and taken from glue pot to fridge it can last of several weeks.

Re: Hide glue

#3

Re: Hide glue

David Linnabary

>As an aside note, I found a smaller device for heating my glue which makes it more convenient to make up small batches.

It's a Rival potpouri cooker, it's a minuature version of their big crock pots and sells for about $7 in your discount type store. Although there is no heat control it seems to keep the glue at just the right heat rang if it is kept covered. I double boil the glue in an aluminum measuring cup which is convenient to carry to my work then return to the crock. Later it can be set aside to cool and then stored in the frige.

David

Re: Hide glue

#4

Re: Hide glue

John Aniano in Central NJ

>Wiley,

As Ed suggested, hide glue does degrade with repeated coolings and heatings. How much, I don't know.

Another good method to heat hide glue is to use one of those coffee cup/mug warmers. These warmers have a thermostat built into them and you put the glue into a baby-food jar. The cap goes on when not in use (and the glue begins to degrade!).

Take care,

John

Re: Hide glue

#5

Re: Hide glue

Wiley Horne--Glendora CA

>Thanks for the ideas! The lot size is kinda the issue, I see. I actually bought a glue pot. But then I have to make up more than I need. So David suggested the Rival pot pourri, and the baby-food-jar-with-warmer seems like a great way to go based on what Ed and John say.

Maybe I could mix up baby food amounts and use my glue pot for temperature control. Here's the thing, though: Who's gonna eat all that baby food? Hey John, what's your favorite? Junior beef?

Wiley

Re: Hide glue

#6

Re: Hide glue

Don Thompson, Cutler Ridge, South of Miami FL

>There also is a little device known as a Li'l Dipper for keeping cheesey chip dips warm. Just cruise a small appliances department and you will probably find something useful.

Re: Hide glue

#7

Re: Hide glue

Gerry Mayberry

>I have not used hot hide glue but have used the available Franklin version. They have an expiration date on the container that is helpful. Hide glue does deteriorate with time due to the breakdown of protein. An interesting trick that I saw Frank Klausz use was to rub some suspect glue between your fingers until it gets very sticky. Then separate your thumb and forefinger and see if tiny strings(many) are observable. The longer the strings, the better the glue. I am told by a chemist buddy that it has to do with the length of the protein chain. I use this trick and when the glue is older, not many strings are evident.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.