WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

Posts

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

#2

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry

Barry Irby

That is amazing! Apparently it does not generate heat. I was stunned the guy just picked it up and poked at it with bare hands. I would want to know more before I stuck my fingers into that brew.

Now, where to get some gallium and what evil can I ring out of it?

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

#3

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry

John K Jordan

Now, where to get some gallium and what evil can I ring out of it?

Perhaps don't experiment with the aluminum engine block of your car engine. Borrow your brother-in-law's car.

Gallium is evidently not harmful to touch.

https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/ga.htm

JKJ

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

#4

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry  *LINK*

John McGaw

Buying it is easy enough. Not nearly expansive as I had thought either. See link.


Amazon Sells Gallium (and everyting else)

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

#5

Ever had a dental filling?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Off to the side silver and mercury were mixed to make an amalgam- translation, the mercury dissolved the silver to make a mush that could be packed into the excavation. Don't know why it re-hardens, probably crystallization of some sort.

Ditto gallium and aluminum. Aluminum dissolves in the gallium just like the silver dissolved in the mercury. The oxide layer on aluminum prevents the gallium from getting to the bare aluminum so scratching may be necessary to get things started.

When things dissolve they can get hot or cold depending on what dissolves in what. I don't think there is much heat involved in this dissolution.

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

#6

Re: OT: Dangerous around Planes

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I vaguely remember a report about the danger of someone (in pre-terrorist days) sabotaging an aircraft by applying Bismuth to critical areas of a Jets wing.

This was many years ago, but I remember the article - They demonstrated how little it would take to make a wing fail. Kinda scary possibility.

Re: OT: Things they didn't teach you in chemistry clas *LINK*

#7

Re: OT: Dangerous around Planes

William Duffield

But nobody actually uses these things :D

http://supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#numa4

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.