WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Garage Door build?

Posts

Garage Door build?

#1

Garage Door build?

Tom Norton

I am in the planning process for building 2 new garage doors. I have built one in the past a 4 section 7' high door. As I am exploring I see some high end manufacturer's offer a 3 section door. I like this idea as it lends itself to some other designs.

Wondering if anyone here has built a garage door?

Thanks!

Re: Garage Door build?

#2

Re: Garage Door build?

Barry Irby

I haven't built a door, but I have built several bottom panels to replace ones that rotted.

Not terribly sophisticated woodworking but I built them out of treated wood and they have lasted many years.

Be careful with the three panels. They will "lean" into the space further than the four panel version.

Also, notice the hardware is setup for four panels. The wheels are spaced sequentially so the door closes like a wedge behind the weather stripping. Not sure it would work if you just move the hardware around.

Re: Garage Door build?

#3

Re: Garage Door build?

Tom Norton

Thanks for your reply. I think I will stop at the garage door company that installed my openers and ask them a few questions!

Re: Garage Door build?

#4

Re: Garage Door build?

John McGaw

I thought about it. For about ten seconds. Then I had my local contractor install extra-heavy-duty fully-encapsulated high-R-value wood-textured steel doors and new openers. They will certainly last longer than I will and the price was quite reasonable when balanced against the materials and labor involved in making replacements. I love building things but there has to be a place where one draws the line.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.