WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

question about glue

Posts

question about glue

#1

question about glue

Howard Pollack

I'm building a relatively light weight redwood garden gate. The corners will be joined with glued 1/2 lap joints. I'd like to use a glue that will stand up to weather and will not sag. Recommendations please. Thank you.

-Howard

Re: question about glue

#2

Titebond III

Mike Farinella

or epoxy or polyurethane glue.

Re: question about glue

#3

West System epoxy


Re: question about glue

#4

Re: question about glue

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I glued a repair in some stairs that went down to river. They get flooded occasionally and are always exposed to weather. Used Gorilla urethane glue. It outlasted the wood.

Re: question about glue

#5

Re: question about glue

Keith Newton

If design isn't your strong suit, maybe giving a bit more info might be helpful. Are there any triangles to brace the swing side, and how wide and tall will the gate be. There are limits to what you might expect any glue to handle if you exceed what that, especially on a relatively weak wood like redwood. Even if the glue hold, it can tear wood fiber out of the face of one or both faces.

Re: question about glue

#6

No metal fasteners?

Gary Smyth

redwood and hinges might also be a concern. In would think that all glue will not cut it over time.

Re: question about glue

#7

Re: question about glue

Hank Knight

I hate urethane (Gorilla) glue, but it's perfect for this application. I built my wife a potting bench 8 years ago. It lives outside and it's still as sturdy as the day I built it. I used lap joints, stainless steel screws and polyurethane glue.

Re: question about glue

#8

Re: question about glue

Brian Holcombe

Howard, might be worth your while to cut bridle joints rather than half laps. Not much more work but a much stronger joint.

I use titebond III outside only for things that are covered and away from constant soaking and direct sun.

Re: question about glue

#9

Re: question about glue

Howard Pollack

Brian, a bridle joint is a very good idea, twice the glue surface. Thanks to all.

-Howard

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.