WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

Posts

A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

#1

A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

Barry Irby

I read a post somewhere that charging a file with chalk would stop it from clogging with metal filings and cut down on the screeching noise.

Down below is a post about sanding belts on a 16/32 sander clogging and cleaning them. I built a sideboard out of heart pine and have lots of experience cleaning belts. Run one board, install a clean belt, run another board, install a clean belt....

At the time it did not occur to me that heart pine would be a good candidate for scraping.

I did wonder if I could get some sort of sterate and coat the belts?

Now I am wondering if you could get some of the sidewalk chalk and coat the belts with the machine running and reduce the clogging? Has anyone had luck reducing clogging?

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

#2

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clo

Don Evans

Barry

Here is what I use to clean sanding disc, drum sander rolls, really all abrasive sanding what ever.

They work very well on wood but with sap etc I'm not sure what it would be capable of cleaning.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/bs99801/

Don

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

#3

Oh, I have one of those, but....

Barry Irby

It won't touch pine sap, if it's really stuck on. What I was wondering was if I put chalk on first, would it come off easier?

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

#4

Re: Oh, I have one of those, but....

Don Evans

Don't know, you can try it and let us know

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

#5

HEAT is the difference.

Dick Coers

If you sanded at the speed of filing, chalk could make a difference. But when you spin the abrasive as fast as the drum sander does, no chance to limit clogging with heart pine.

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clogged

#6

Re: A question to make you go Hmmm? Preventing clo

Charlie belden

Chalking files to reduce metal getting packed down at the bottom of the “teeth” is an old jewellers trick. Does’t prevent files from loading up but makes it much easier to “clean”. Teeth on a file are directional - sand paper is not. So I doubt chalk would reduce or eliminate sandpaper loading up. Crepe sticks (remember crepe soled shoes?) clean up sand paper - if there’s not a resin problem - or the friction of sanding did soften or melt the adhesive that holds the abrasive to the backing.

I recall something about stearate messing with some wood finishes - fish eye if I recall correctly.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.