WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Making arched drawers

Posts

Making arched drawers

#1

Making arched drawers

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Fitting the arched drawers

Arched drawers provide variety to the typical chest of drawers. Making them is little different than an orthogonal drawer.

PIC1



Step 1 is to get, not fit, the drawer into the opening, side to side. A shooting board is ideal for this task as small increments of material can be removed to get an acceptable fit. At this point I want the drawer front to just fit the opening. There are advantages to have a loose, friction fit at this stage. (the drawer won’t fall out on the floor during the fitting process) >( I will plane the drawer sides for proper clearance after the drawer is assembled.

Pic 2



Once the front can be slid in from the back, the arc is marked and band sawed.

Pic 3



Hand tool use has taught me that I can work at higher accuracy with the power tools. If one can routinely split lines hand sawing dovetails there is no reason that the edge of a line can’t be kissed with a band saw. It makes the following steps easier.


After band sawing, the arc is spoke shaved. Well not. While most might file or spoke shave away the band saw tooth marks, I use my trusty hand plane. Try it. Use a smooth arcing motion and the chips fly. The mass of the hand plane makes this task much easier than spoke shaving and vastly faster than filing with no need for an expensive file. After planing the surface is refined with a fine file or sand paper.

pic 4


While I want the side to side fit to be snug I strive for a near final vertical fit because it is harder to refine the vertical fit on a finished drawer.

Re: Making arched drawers

#3

The LV shooting plane- good

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Once I discovered the ability to adjust the ends of board's angle and length, "shooting" ends became a common event. Indispensable for accurate drawer front fitting and correcting miter gauge errors. And it was uncommonly uncomfortable with Stanly #5. As usual the LV version of this plane is ergonomically well designed. It is my second most often used plane. Pricy though. The PMVII blade toughness excels in the harsh environment of end grain planing.

Re: Making arched drawers

#4

Re: Make yourself a miter board

Hank Knight

Bill, if you haven't already done so, make yourself a 45 degree miter board for your shooting plane. I was never able to get perfect miters off my table saw. The 45 degree shooting board solved the problem. You can sneak up on perfect miters every time at .001" increments with a shooting plane and a miter board.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.