WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

Posts

Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#1

Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

Jack Prescott

I have a 16-32 drum sander. I rolled up the "used belt" in a tight circle and immersed it in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in a used shampoo bottle (tall and thin to minimize the amount of alcohol needed). The belt came out almost like new with a slight amount of scrubbing with a wire brush!

The build-up usually consists of abietic acid (rosin) and is soluble in almost any alcohol such as grain, methanol, etc. Vodka would probably work too? Rubbing alcohol use to be about 95% concentration but suppliers have diluted it down to 70% and even 50% with water!!?

I have seen other methods used on YouTube and this beats the heck out of what I have seen!

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#2

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

John in NM

Around here there is a feed store chain called Tractor Supply. They have 95% isopropyl if I remember correctly, intended for veterinary use. Even if you don't have that chain locally, you might have a look at feed stores.

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#3

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

Barry Irby

I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol and it is 90%. I was slightly surprised because I thought the standard or household stuff was 70% and I made no effort to buy anything stronger.

I have cleaned many belts for my 16/32 sander with Simple Green. Just used a gallon jug and soaked them overnight. Don't know haw anything could be better and cheaper.

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#4

+1

Yonak

I have cleaned many belts for my 16/32 sander with Simple Green. -- Barry

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#5

Hopefully you are using a soft brass wire brush

Dick Coers

Dragging a steel wire brush over the abrasive is not going to do it any favors.

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#6

Re: Hopefully you are using a soft brass wire brus

John K Jordan

Of course. He said "with a slight amount of scrubbing with a wire brush" but didn't mention steel. I use brass and occasionally a fine stainless brush which will not damage anything with the machine off.

I also like the big rubber sanding drum/disk/belt cleaners with the machine running.

JKJ

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

#7

Re: Cleaning Drum Sander Belts

Jack Prescott

Actually I used a synthetic plastic brush to get the "final build-up" out. It takes only less than 5 minutes to get the belts fully cleaned with alcohol!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.