WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Cutting a large cone

Posts

Cutting a large cone

#1

Cutting a large cone

john lucas

Since I did the cone in two parts it turns out I was able to cut it on the bandsaw. I took my table saw miter jig and rigged up a large fence. Cut the bottom off. Then changed the angle and cut the top off the big cone. I used a sort of Garrot technique to hold it. I ran string around the narrow portion and then tightened it from the back with a dowel like you would tighten a garrot. Worked great. Then I mounted the smaller cone and cut it to fit. Glued the cut off from the smaller cone to the middle cone and trued everything up. Now it's ready for the shelves and base when I find time to do it. I plan to paint this column so cutting and gluing seemed like the best option.





Re: Cutting a large cone

#2

Re: Cutting a large cone

Yonak

Cool project, john. It looks great. What do you plan to do with it ?

Re: Cutting a large cone

#3

Re: Cutting a large cone

Don Orr

Nicely done, but your knowledge and skill with a garrote is a little disturbing. ;)

Re: Cutting a large cone

#4

Re: Cutting a large cone

John C Lucas

Its going to be a cantilever shelf.

Re: Cutting a large cone

#5

Re: Cutting a large cone

John C Lucas

Meant to say tourniquet. Must have been thinking about the plumber who ripped me off.

Re: Cutting a large cone

#6

..Can't wait to see it finished.


Re: Cutting a large cone

#7

Re: Cutting a large cone

John McGaw

Try as I might, I can't get my head around the idea of "cone" and "cantilever shelf" going together. Your really need to post images of the completed project.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.