WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question on Rough Cut with FWW

Posts

Question on Rough Cut with FWW

#1

Question on Rough Cut with FWW

Barry Irby

I have watched a few episodes of the newer version of Rough Cut. My question is: Why/How is that shop so clean? You could not get my shop that clean if you sent in the crew that cleans operating rooms at a hospital and gave them weeks to get the job done.

I see dust flying off the blade of his table saw and spewing from every other tool and operation. I have a homemade dust collection system that gets about 90% of the dust that appears to be much more effective than anything in the show and yet my shop is coated in dust. I also have two air filtration systems.

So how many people do you suppose go in off camera and clean like maniacs? TV magic?

Re: Question on Rough Cut with FWW

#2

It's entertainment Barry, not reality

Dick Coers

I like the new Tom, but that show barely touches on the steps and skills used to make that furniture. That makes it entertainment in my book, not reality. I worked at Woodworker's Journal. Before photo day, it took me at least 2 days to clean up and prepare the areas for the photo shoot. Behind the camera was a disaster. Even machinery got pushed out of the way for the photographer. I ran a woodworking business before that job. I thought I was the luckiest man in the world, to get the same pay on photography day as any other. I spent a lot of time on the bench stool on those days, or just standing there holding something on the machine for a picture. Of course, that was before digital photography. Now they could just photoshop the sawdust out of the image!

Re: Question on Rough Cut with FWW

#3

Re: It's entertainment Barry, not reality

Barry Irby

You hit on the part that irritates me. Norm did it too. Norm said, "I calculated this angle and it 8 degrees". I'm thinking woah, that's the part I need to know, how did you make the calculation?

On Rough Cut he said, I just lay this pattern here and cut around it, making the side piece for the modified Adirondack chair. My thought was that if I had that pattern I could make that chair in a jiffy. Now, making the pattern is another whole thing.

Back to watching Doucette and Wolfe. Out of my league on my best day. Woodworking Ballet.

Re: Question on Rough Cut with FWW

#4

Re: It's entertainment Barry, not reality

John in NM

That's a lot of the reason I tend not to watch shows and videos. They gloss over the parts I'm interested in. One thing that is impressive about Doucette and Wolfe is that they show a lot of that stuff, lots of hand planing and test fitting, lots of dovetailing, though usually just clips or sped up. But it reinforces the idea that the way to get a lot of furniture making done is to get started on it with the tools you have available.

I was thinking about this during the discussion of shaping Derek's drawer fronts. One could use a rasp, a hand plane, or a belt sander, depending on what is available and how one likes to work. Having used all three for that kind of task, I tend to think each method would be roughly as quick as the other by the time the piece is finished.

Re: Question on Rough Cut with FWW

#5

Re: It's entertainment Barry, not reality

Walt

"That's a lot of the reason I tend not to watch shows and videos. They gloss over the parts I'm interested in."

Very true. The only TV show I know of that goes into "step-by-step how to actually do this" is WoodSmith Shop and their projects are not exactly high end. I recall Russell Morash saying, when ending New Yankee Workshop that the future of shows like NYW are streaming, not broadcast TV. It looks like he was right.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.