WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

Posts

Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

#1

Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

Barry Irby

I got a Kuhn curved spoke shave in a tool auction. Does the blade/iron go in bevel up or bevel down? The Cap iron looks like a piece of stamped steel Crap. The "bed" in the iron handles looks like a little ragged. Does it matter if the iron does not seal against the bed?

This came in a bucket of miscellaneous stuff, so I have nearly nothing invested, but I thought it might be a useful tool. Or not???

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

#2

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Do you mean Kunz? Is it green? I would think bevel down. I can’t imagine a bevel up spokeshave.

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

#4

Yes it is a Kunz and it's green....

Barry Irby

It's a concave shape.

And, thanks Dick. I will read that carefully when my day settles down.

I have two straight ones. One of the wooden Conover ones and it's a joy and a Veritas one that can switch from a convex edge to a concave edge. Have not played with it yet.

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

#5

Re: Yes it is a Kunz and it's green....

Jesse Cloud

Here's a hint for those convex and concave spokeshaves... Before you put it in use, use it to cut a six inch long piece of poplar or something thats a little wider and thicker than the shape of the cutter. Better still, make a couple of those.

Then, spray some adhesive on the thing you just made and put a strip of sandpaper, business side up, on the tacky surface.

Voila, you have a sharpening jig.

If you like it, make one for each grit you use.

Makes sharpening a breeze.

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

#6

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

William Duffield

Imagine this. ;)

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=44834&cat=1,41182,44834

Yes, it is a bevel up spokeshave.

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

#7

Re: Anybody have a Kuhn Curved spoke shave?

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I guess I need to get out more.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.