WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

Posts

Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#1

Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

Gary Smyth





Patriotic shield. Barn decoration. Another family farm/house sale. Made from three oak 10” x 1” (full) boards. Weight approaching 30 lbs. Dimension approx. 36” x 29”. Told it has been in barn under roof for at least the last ten years. Before that on barn outside "for awhile". She thinks maybe as early as WWI era. Weathered with cracks randomly diving as much as ½ from the surface. Was rafter hung (as would be a heavy mirror), but an attachment failed and it luckily hung dangling by its wire. New, old find. DIn"t cost much. Current owner indicated firewood bound.

I want to remount for wall with screws and metal ring hangars. The wood condition and the weight concerns me. I added a ¼” ply backing hoping it will help.

The wood is dry, dry, dry. What are the chances of screws (as opposed to some other anchor (nail or clips of some sort)) causing the wood to split with modern humidity/weather expansion indoors? I’m planning on this being permanently inside on a brick wall.

Seems straightforward enough, but don’t want to screw things up. Apparently it has been around a while.

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#2

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

JohnV

old barn wood has been used extensively for all kinds of projects. I've never heard or seen any discussion on problems with modern uses. I would be sure to pre drill holes just to be safe. The same techniques used with newer oak wood would apply here. My 2 cents.

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#3

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

Dick Coers

My opinion, you loaded it for failure by adding that plywood. When the oak seasonally changes, then you have added stress to the old wood. Dry, dry, dry doesn't mean it still won't move.

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#4

That's why I asked. Back on with 8 23 Ga. pins


Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#5

Option

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Use "J" clips (or heavy plate hangers) that grip from the edges. Two on the bottom wired to two on the top edge will allow your piece to both hang safely yet still "breath" with the seasons.

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#7

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

Walter Ahlgrim

I like it a lot!

The cut edge looks somewhat fresh and has not seen much if any weather.

When I look at the paint I see over spray and places that were not masked.

I hope you enjoy it but I do not think it is that old. It may be made from old barn boards.

Walta

https://flic.kr/p/281TE9h

https://flic.kr/p/281TE9h

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#8

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

Gary Smyth

You may be correct. I have paint suspicions now too. The fresh edge however is entirely my doing. I sanded the edge to reduce the size of the ply so that it wouldn't stand proud of the curved edge, I am going to paint the edge flat black or gray to hide the raw edge before it goes up. I'm hoping that we are both wrong to age, but as you stated, I like it.

Re: Thought I'd ask -- opinion.

#9

I like it.  I thought about something similar...

Gary Smyth

but I cant find a clip that has a 1" space to fit the wood. I checked house siding

"J" channel at Lowes this afternoon but I'm not comfortable with the gauge and its reliability holding the weight over time. Maybe large steel fish hooks (barb removed), aluminum "U" channel, or a source for "J" with a wide enough gap for the wood to fit into securely. I may have to bend some sheet metal -- Harbor Freight as a inexpensive metal bending brake -- but I was hoping to find something ready and cheap locally or online delivered to my door.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.