WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT - Google Tags

Posts

OT - Google Tags

#1

OT - Google Tags

Don Stephan

Seems like every day I get a recorded phone call on behalf of numerous software companies warning that my Google account is unclaimed. When I talk to a person I'm always told that I need to add Google tags to my account. My account is working just fine, and I don't want every Tom Dick and Jane calling my artisan woodworking business to ask how many 2x4's I have in stock or if I have six panel closet doors in white.

Can someone explain just what Google tags are, and how one creates them? My account is in fact claimed by me, as I changed the hours of operation a month ago.

Re: OT - Google Tags

#2

Re: OT - Google Tags

chuck wintle

It sounds like it could be a scam or a way to make money. They might have software to check the website, see the tags or something is missing and see an opportunity.

Re: OT - Google Tags

#3

Re: OT - Google Tags

CJ in MPLS

The calls you are getting are BS. At best someone will take your money and do something esoteric to your site that will not give you much, if any, benefit. Worst case is that your credit card information will be used to steal $ from you. In any case, the calls won't stop.

Re: OT - Google Tags

#4

Re: OT - Google Tags

Dustmaker Mike

From what I am reading and trying to figure out.

"In information systems, a tag is a keyword or term assigned to a piece of information (such as an Internet bookmark, digital image, database record, or computer file). This kind of metadata helps describe an item and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching."

So it appears a Tag is the Term searched. Like "Barn Doors" Google uses the words in every website to check for Barn Doors. When it finds the words it comes back with a link to the site.

Check youtube for how to set it up and what it is good for, if a all for your website.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.