WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Garage doors??

Posts

Garage doors??

#1

Garage doors??

Tom Norton

A few years ago I built a garage door with the exterior face being rough cedar ply. This was an 8' wide door so material was available.

Now our 2-9' wide doors are really showing their age and some rot is beginning to be evident. But as I have searched for 9' cedar ply nothing seems to be available.

So I am considering a "frame & panel" style using cedar t&g for the fields. My thought is to build torsion type substrates with rigid insulation in the interior. Make the t&g 3/8" thick to reduce the overall weight.

Would like to hear some input about my plans.

Thanks!

Re: Garage doors??

#2

Re: Garage doors??

JohnV

You may need to replace your springs with heartier ones or at a minimum increase the tension on the existing ones.

Re: Garage doors??

#3

Re: Garage doors??

Barry Irby

Back in the 70's and 80's I was a builder. Built a lot of plywood sided houses. Used a lot of 9' plywood siding. Got it from a local lumber yard, not one of the Borgs, but a real lumber yard. They stocked 8', 9', and 10'. Whomever their buyer was could not grasp why they always ran out of 9' first. They bought 80% 8', and 10% of each of the other two. The buyer knew in his heart of hearts plywood is SUPPOSED to be 8', and anyone who paid extra to get longer lengths was an idiot and clearly did not know what they were doing. The fact that 9' would cover the studs and the band was meaningless to him. I begged him to increase the 9' to 20% but he would have none of that. Much of mine was then special order and factory stained. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Try ordering your plywood from a real lumber yard, if you can find one.

Other than that, go ahead with your plan. Do be careful to protect them from getting too wet. Frame and panel are notorious for having water sit in the grooves and rot things.

Re: Garage doors??

#4

Re: Garage doors??

Tom Norton

Barry, it is true that "real" lumber yards are quite hard to find. I have spoken with plywood companies but they seem to require a large order to make it up.

As for the water penetration I came upon a detail that has a drip edge dadoed in to the bottom edge of the field. It is a nest design to dhed the water.

Re: Garage doors??

#5

Re: Garage doors

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I'm in the process of planning and building a shop. The building will be sided with 6" T&G cedar applied vertically to go with the house. I'm thinking of skinning the garage door with the same stuff by gluing on 3/8" thick sections and double beveling the ends at the door joints. Bevels will be sealed with epoxy.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.