WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

Posts

What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#1

What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

Barry Irby

I'm mostly a power tool guy. Went to an auction pick up yesterday with a friend. In his haul were what I thought were two blades for a Hag's Tooth Plane and he gave them to me. So I am considering what to do with them.

The cutting edge appears to be about 3/4" wide and the shaft a little over 2' tall. the shaft is about 5/16" square and is positioned in a diamond pattern to the edge. Thinking of make a plane, but it would be good to know the real name do do some research. The angle between the blade and shaft is less than 90 degrees, is that proper? Do you have such a plane and do you find it useful?

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#2

Jack Guzman from Maine

router plane


Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#3

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

Dave Bair

I have two and they are very useful.

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#4

I've been looking...Question on angle...

Barry Irby

The blades I have have about an 80 degree angle on them so that the cutting edge will be a good 1/8" lower than the heel if I make the groove for the shaft perpendicular to the sole. the Veritas ones appear to be at 90*, at least close enough they don't seem to fall over backwards in the photos. I am confused (as usual) It seems the Veritas version would cut its own cleanse and then slide on the fresh surface. Mine would pull it loose and fly above it. Which way to go?

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#5

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane? *LINK*

William Duffield

If you want to make a router plane using that blade, Derek Cohen provides good instructions on how he made several:


img

Building a Wooden Router Plane

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#6

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: I've been looking...Question on angle...

Jack Guzman from Maine

I don't think you need to get real steep with the angle. You just want the heel higher than the edge. With the veritas blades the edge contacts the wood to be cut and the heel is off the wood. This is a picture of one of my veritas blades with a square to demonstrate the angle.---Jack

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#7

Thanks Jack, mine lean back about twice as far

Barry Irby

From the pictures I thought the Veritas ones were essentially 90*. If those are actually about 95* mine are maybe 100*. I am wondering about leaning the slot back to make mine about the same approach angle as yours. Or, I could just make mine vertical and then change/recut the sole if it's necessary. I would like to make the plane with a vertical slot so I could buy Veritas cutters if I wanted to.

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#8

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

A Hag's (or Old Woman's) Tooth plane is the predecessor to the router plane, but it is not quite the same. Abreviated to OWT for political reason :)


This is the classic OWT. It is made with a plough ("plow" in non-English speaking countries) plane blade, and not the more familiar L-shaped blade found on modern router planes made by Stanley, Record, Veritas and Lie Nielsen.

The OWT is an example of how a workman might re-use existing tool parts. I imagine that the blades given to Barry were plough plane blades. If so, these require a different design to a wooden router plane, such as the ones I have built, as shown in the link provided by William.

This is one I made for a Wood Central auction ...


This uses the Veritas blades.

Note that the angle of the L-shaped blade allows the foot to cant forward to create a relief angle below. It would stop cutting if parallel to the surface of the wood.

For those wishing to sharpen a current router plane blade, I developed a technique which will ensure the sharpest of edges. Maintainng the edge is really easy. The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/SharpeningRouterPlaneBlades.html

Vic Tesolin recently made a video of the method:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cuNu-GlgH88

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#9

Derek, thanks, and a couple of questions...

Barry Irby

The blades I have appear to be hand forged versions of the Veritas blades. The biggest difference isMie are not as close to 90 degrees. So the "approach angle" would be at least twice as great, lifting the shavings faster and higher.

Thus, should I angle the blade anchoring slot to compensate? I am reluctant to do that because I might want to buy some Veritas blades and use them in the same plane.

And, Is your eye bolt/anchor bolt welded? The cheap ones hear are not and I see some people on the internet welding them. I don't have that capability. Should I hunt down a welded one?

You are famous on the Internet for this plane. Numerous references to you and your web site. I was about to go to your site to pester you for answers.

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#10

Re: Derek, thanks, and a couple of questions...

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Barry

Everything must be kept square. That is vertical in all directions.


The eye bolt is welded, but that is not important ..


The build details, including a plan, is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/BuildingaWoodenRouterPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: What is the real name of a Hag's Tooth Plane?

#11

Old Woman’s Tooth


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.