WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

FELDER KF700 power up issue

Posts

FELDER KF700 power up issue

#1

FELDER KF700 power up issue

HC Sakman

Hello Again Everybody...

Is there anybody here who knows Felder machines?

I was using my saw, turned it off, try to turn it on again a minute or less later, it would not start. I am confused.

Thanks,

Chico

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#2

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Chico

If yours is single phase, it could be the starting capacitor. These burn out if you do not use the recommended starting method (which is to hold down the start button until the motor is running - do not just stab it to start).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#3

Kneale Brownson

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

Kneale Brownson

Could it be dust in the motor? Maybe blow out the windings?

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#4

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

HC Sakman

Good Morning guys.

Actually this had happened before, approx. 3-4 months ago, but it fixed itself in approx. 1/2 hr. This time it is not happening.

Neither saw nor shaper works, but shaper reverse light comes on when I bring the switch to that setting.

Derek, mine is single phase and nobody ever told me to hold down the button. On the other hand, it comes to full speed almost instantly, no delay and electric brake also works almost instantly.

Thanks

Chico

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#5

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

Dick Coers

Any safety limit switches on doors? Door ajar?

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#6

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

HC Sakman

Thank you all...

I checked the microswitch on the door, works.

I tighten slightly loose screws of the kazillion amount, on the selection switch cylinder

I dislodged the blue .....????.... (some electromagnetic switch, goes on and off violently when saw or shaper turned on and off) button, placed it back.

I checked 3 fuses, all good.

Plugged back in and now it works.

So you know... ;-)

Chico

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#7

Call Chico, The Felder Exorcist!

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

:D

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#9

Damn you... You are right(er) than you think

HC Sakman

You had to jinx it, didn't ya? ;-) Well, it only took a few hours for the problem to repeat itself.

Back to square one. I am guessing it is a contact (where lack of..) issue somewhere. Top suspect is the selector switch for the saw/shaper and reverse. I checked safety gate microswitch with an ohmmeter, all fine.

What's your experience?

Chico

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#10

Jim in Burlington Ont.

Re: Damn you... You are right(er) than you think

Jim in Burlington Ont.

Did you Kick It! :D

James......

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#11

Not the same, but....

Barry Irby

The switch on my Performax got glitchy. I ordered a new one. Then took the old one apart and it was PACKED with saw dust. Tried to reassemble if, but apparently I don't have enough fingers and toes or maybe I just don't know the right cuss words. Try blowing the dust out.

(Who makes a switch for a sander that is not dust resistant and then installs it looking straight up?)

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#12

Re: Damn you... You are right(er) than you think

Frank D. in Montreal

Hey Chico,

My Felder saw is still brand new, so no issues yet (touch wood...).

Have you tried the Felder Owners Group in Yahoo? You could probably find someone there who could help you out.

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#13

Chico - read this 

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

This is the message on my Hammer K3 slider ...


This the warning on the A3-31 jointer-thicknesser/planer ...



I have read of several Hammer/Felder machines stop working owing to the startup procedure being ignored.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#14

Re: Chico - read this 

HC Sakman

Thank you Derek. Mine does not have a label like that. Nobody ever told this me either. Does your machine have emergency stop switch(es)? Mine is 2007 model KF700.

Thanks Again,

Chico

Re: FELDER KF700 power up issue

#15

Re: Chico - read this 

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Yes, there is an emergency stop button on the side. You can see it in the centre ...


Apparently, the warnings/instructions are on all the Hammer/Felder machines. It may be a more recent thing. Its on my A3-31 combo jointer-planer which is now 5 years old, but not on my N4400 bandsaw, which I've had about 8 or 9 years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.