WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Underlayment for linoleum

Posts

Underlayment for linoleum

#1

Underlayment for linoleum

Hoa in Alameda

I need to install linoleum flooring for a bathroom upstair.

The 30 yr. old flooring was linoleum over 3/8" particle board underlayment. Due to water leaking, the underlayment literally fell apart when I removed the linoleum.

Should I use plywood or particle board for underlayment? I realize particle board + water is bad combination. But it immediately tells me that there is a water leak problem. Plywood may hide the problem until it's too late.

The plywood subfloor is structurally sound. It is just not even, thus the need for the underlayment.

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

#2

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

Larry

Use 1/4 Plywood underlayment (Made for that). Most Linoleum manufactures won't warranty their flooring using Particle board.

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

#3

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

Barry Irby

I agree with Larry. Use underlayment grade 1/4" or thicker plywood. If the existing plywood subfloor is not level either sand it or skim and fill the low areas.

Particle board has never been approved for wet areas. Now you know why.

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

#4

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I am certainly not a pro carpenter, but I used 1/4" Hardiback (sic-cement board) as under-layment in my utility room under the linoleum. I applied the filler? material on all joints and sanded and cleaned before applying the adhesive. It has worked quite well for me for the last 20 years!

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

#5

Kneale Brownson

X3.  Make sure it's the underlayment grade

Kneale Brownson

The underlayment grade has totally solid cores, so there are no weak spots.

Re: Underlayment for linoleum

#6

+ 1

Mike Farinella

Yes a bit overkill, but it works great.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.