WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Need Carver

Posts

Need Carver

#1

Need Carver

MarkB

Afternoon all! Looking for somebody to carve a custom walking stick for my son's Eagle Scout gift. Any ideas? Thank you!

Re: Need Carver

#2

Re: Need Carver

Philip Duffy

Would you tell the readers where you are and what you want carved? That would move this thing along. I am a turner, not a carver, but lots of woodworking supply stores have Carver Clubs associated and that would be a good source of a carver. PfD

Re: Need Carver

#3

Re: Need Carver

MarkB

Of course, Philip. Sorry should have done that in the first place. I'm in eastern NC USA. I'm looking for something in a walking stick about 40 - 48" tall. I have photos of one we started but it didn't work out (because of material, skills, tools, etc.) The stick should be decorative enough to be a display piece, but not so ornate that it can't be used for hiking. Not sure what else I can add, but I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks,

Mark B.

Re: Need Carver

#4

Re: Need Carver

William Duffield

I can start by recommending two excellent professional wood carvers in your neck of the woods, one in Virginia Beach and one in Charleston. Both are members of the Society of American Furniture Makers (SAPFM). I have seen their work and had carving instruction from both of them.

Ray Journigan http://www.thecolonialcraftsman.com/meet-ray/

Mary May https://www.marymaycarving.com/carvingschool/contact/

You might also try posting an inquiry on the forum of SAPFM. There are many skilled carvers who are members, some of them close to you, in particular those in the local Tidewater SAPFM chapter.

https://www.sapfm.org/forum/index.php

And this Carving Tools board in particular:

https://www.sapfm.org/forum/index.php?board=29.0

Re: Need Carver

#5

Re: Need Carver

Keith Newton

Mark, it would probably mean a lot more to him if you were to carve one yourself. you can get a starter set of carving tools pretty cheap. The hardest part is just getting started. Do a search for something you like, and try to use that to inspire yours. You may find you have a hidden talent yet to be discovered in yourself.

I did my first carving back around 1965, so I know it isn't rocket science. If that dumb kid,,,,,,,, me,,,,, could do it, anybody reading this can, ;>)

Re: Need Carver

#6

Re: Need Carver

William Duffield

Both of my recommendations are also very good teachers of carving, and either one would be close enough that Mark and his son could consider traveling to one of their shops for hands-on instruction.

Re: Need Carver

#7

Re: Need Carver

Gary Smyth




Get to Pinterest and type in "eagle walking stick", or "eagle scout" , or "walking stick ideas" and take it where you want to go. Consider fancy rope work on the staff too. You might frame his scout badges.

It won't get you a carver, but perhaps other ideas. I thought I saw a Eagle Scout Gifts link in there somewhere.

Re: Need Carver

#8

Re: Need Carver

MarkB

Wow, what an excellent bunch of suggestions! Guess I came to the right place. Thank you all, I'll look into all of them. I'm sure they'll result in a memorable gift for my boy.

Bless you all,

Mark B.

Re: Need Carver

#9

Re: Need Carver

MarkB

Hi Gary, and thanks for the ideas.

Re: photos and drawing, are those your work?

Thanks,

Mark B.

Re: Need Carver

#10

Badge photo mine.  Drawings Pinterest.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.