WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

Posts

OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#1

OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

Jim Dillon

Long, long ago I lusted to own a new Porsche. Unfortunately, reality (i.e. money) kept interfering with my dreams. My dreams faded until yesterday when I came across this video. Gotta get one of these (just kidding). Watch it red-line at 229 mph (369 kph) on the home stretch. 0-60 mph (100 kph) 2.2 secs - not to shabby either. Sure hope no deer/bear wander onto that track. Too hot/humid here in Virginia to work. Jim

Edit: OK, in my excitement I think I mistakenly assumed the dashboard was in mph (how American of me), I believe it is in kph with a top end of about 229 mph. Still not bad. Sorry for the confusion.


Porsche 919 at Nurburgring

Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#2

Awesome!!


Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#3

Re: OT: This is so cool!!

John McGaw

It used to be that anybody who wanted to could take to the track there. Drive up, pay your fee, presumably sign a stack of waivers an go. Well, it was probably more complicated than that but is was still accessible to the common folk. Oh, and the caption on the video definitely called out 369 kilometers per hour as the speed, presumably only intermittently I'm sure.

Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#4

Notice

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

the driver's head in the small screen? The guy's getting beaten up for the privilege of tooling the track at 225 mph!

Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#5

Re: OT: This is so cool!!

Jim Dillon

John, thanks for pointing that out. As I understand it, due to the lack of competition, Porsche is "downsizing" their company's racing component. The racing team wanted one last chance to build the fastest car they could with no limitations. The run in the video beat the 35 year old record (set by a Porsche 356) by 52 seconds! The G-forces on that driver must be something else as his hand/eye coordination and reaction time. Time to climb into my 1990 Toyota Corolla and take trash to recycling. Sigh! Jim

Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#6

Re: That was fun! Thanks!


Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#7

Re: Notice

Mark Nowicki

Years ago, during the Montreal Grand Prix, I had seats at the section of the track where the cars had to brake for and then accelerate out of a corner. You could see Senna's yellow helmet twitching back and forth.

I miss the Opel we rented last month in Germany and cruising on the autobahn's at 105mph.

Re: OT: This is so cool!! *LINK*

#8

Re: OT: This is so cool!!

HC Sakman

It is indeed... Thanks for the link.

Chico

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.