WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

Posts

A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#1

A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

Don Stephan

After 15 years of occasional use my Hawk scroll saw is still a great machine, except for the table. First time I've ever worked with such large marquetry designs and some of the cutout areas are extending beyond the side of the 13" diameter table. So I'm thinking of making an additional top about 22" diameter that would sit on top of the aluminum top. The piece of 3/8" thick baltic birch plywood in my storage rack is warped, so I'm thinking about using the 1/2" thick piece. Don't think the added thickness of a second top will cause any problems.

It would be like the plywood top I installed on my too small drill press table years ago. It has been extremely handy and useful, without drawbacks.

This aso seems like a very straightforward and useful project, but those are the ones that usually turn out to be not so handy and useful. Has anyone made larger scroll saw table tops, and if so any feedback?

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#2

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

AZ in Colorado Springs

I have not added a larger top to my scroll saw, but I remember reading about doing that in a scrolling magazine several years ago. Seems straight forward.

The problem I've encountered is making a cutout in a long (wide) piece of stock which gets blocked at the back of the saw when it hits the support for the overhead arm of the saw. No easy fix for that.

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#3

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

Ralph Lipeles

How about 1/4" aluminum. There are places around that will sell you just about any size that you want.

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#4

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

jcousins

here's pics of the table i built for the xcalibur. overall dimensions are 34 x 34. i used the structural connections of the machines table to attach longer pieces of wood (in my mind like out riggers) - hoping the under the table pictures give a sense o that - then used 1/4" melamine for the surface. has held up pretty well over the years

jerry


Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#5

I think Jerry has the best idea

Howard in Toronto

But one small change I might add would be to rotate the bottom supports to increase beam strength and keep the table flat rather than just add more tensile strength which could contribute to sag over time.

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#6

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

jcousins

meant to mention - i also tapped a few holes in the machine's aluminum table to "hang the out riggers"

jerry

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

#7

Re: A Larger Scroll Saw Table?

Don Stephan

Decided to use 1/4" baltic birch anyway, to keep weight down. Plan to include a couple stiffeners/cleats/strongbacks from side to side to clamp to the aluminum table and to hole the plywood fairly flat.

First wanted to test the amount of front projection from the scroll saw blade to the front edge of the plywood. Found it too hard to reach the bottom blade holder with 17 1/2" front projection, 15 1/2" projection fine for my reach. Held the plywood in place temporarily with strips of wide blue masking tape today. In the next couple days I'll have a go at the stiffeners/. . .

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.