Rob Cosman wooden hinge questions???
Barry Irby
Any of you seen Rob Cosman's wooden hinge? I was poking around on YouTube and saw several videos by Rob Cosman about his wooden hinge. He takes a 1/4" dowel about 2" long and crosscuts it into three pieces. Made a gadget to drill a 1/16" hole into center of the ends of the pieces. Inserts pieces of 1/16" stainless steel rod. Cuts a cove with a corebox bit and installs the hinge by gluing the two end pieces to the lid and the middle piece to the box.
He claims he has been making these hinges for thirty years and got the idea from Dale Nish.
I am struggling with the idea. Seems too fragile for me. A 1/16" pin? In a 1/4" dowel? Hinge turning on end grain? Only attached by glue on 1/4 of the surface of a 1/4" dowel? They appear to be elegant hinges for small wooden boxes but I am skeptical. What do you think? Any experience?