WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

Posts

Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#1

Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

William Duffield

I just finished a small woodworking project, mostly using power tools (bandsaw, Domino and belt sander) and some finish work with files and sandpaper. I need a small terrarium for starting some seeds. I had just emptied a gallon size jar of dill pickles from Costco. I can get more surface area if I set it on its side, but I don't want it to roll off the bench. I measured the diameter of the barrel, and cut two supports, with feet, and tied them together with stretchers made from long Domino stock. I clamped both feet together and cut the mortises through both at the same time, insuring the stretchers would line up. I agonized a while over which kind of wood to use. My bandsaw begged me not to use ipe. Since it will spend the summers outside, I made it all from a couple of species of African mahogany: sapele and sipo.



I could have gotten it done a lot quicker, but for some reason I felt the need to fancy up the lines and smooth off the bandsaw marks, bevel the edges, and put some finish on it. I also had to make a pattern, in case I ever wanted to make any more of these. It's finished with beeswax and mineral oil. It's filled with potting soil, and the seeds are working on germinating.


Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#2

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

Keith Newton

William at first glance I thought you were starting to build a ship model in a bottle. Maybe this will work into that on down the road. ha

I may have to get back to growing some sprouts too. I used to do that, and love them on a good sandwich or salad.

Last weekend before leaving the cabin, I noticed chanterelle mushrooms were starting to pop up out along the edge of the yard, we had had 5" of rain down there, so I'm hoping to gather a few bushels to dehydrate, vacuum bag, then freeze.

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#3

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

William Duffield

You don't build a ship model in a wide mouth jar. Where's the challenge in that? :D

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#4

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

Barry Irby

The Domino is a fairly recent addition to my arsenal. One of my impulse purchases is about a thousand sticks that look like they might be 16" long dominoes in maple, but they are 3/8 thick and not 10mm. They are just a tad loose in the 10mm mortices. I have been trying to think of a good use for them. (Slats in a headboard, slats in a side table,....?) They would have worked nicely for your application. Nice job and thanks for the inspiration.

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#5

Very creative!


Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#6

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

William Duffield

You might want to sit down before you open this link. :)

https://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/3-8-domino-cutter

You could buy a lot of Festool 10 mm Domino tenon stock for the price of this 3/8" cutter.

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#7

Re: Domino Hack Details

William Duffield

NB - If you are going to use the "hack" of cutting the through mortises in both legs with a single plunge, and are using the smaller DF500 Domino machine, it's maximum plunge depth is 28 mm (about 1-3/32"), so you can't do it in 3/4" thick stock. The larger DF700XL is not that limited, as it's maximum plunge depth is 70 mm (about 2-3/4"). It makes it easy to simultaneously cut a pair of perfectly aligned mortises in a pair of legs over an inch thick (or through 5 legs made of half inch stock).

Re: Domino Hack - Built a Greenhouse

#8

You got that right!!!!

Barry Irby

$195 for a cutter? I don't think so! And Its for a 700 model and I have a 500. Another $1400 for the DF 700. Nope. I had looked into getting a custom cutter but the price made it economically impossible.

In a Duhh! moment it dawned on my that I could run them through my planer and reduce them to 8 mm and they work perfectly. The width is exactly correct for the 8 mm mortise. So I made about 200 of each 50 and 40 mm length and am enjoying them.

Would anyone like to buy a supply of sticks that are easy converted to 8 mm Dominoes?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.