WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

Posts

OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

#1

OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

Doing a little artsy-fartsy stuff with a sign. Used Rustoleum Painters Touch latex on the wood, let dry for a day. Then used Marks-a-lot permanent black marker to apply lettering with stencil letters. This will likely be outside on a deck or porch subject to some weather, so wanted to clear coat the stenciled lettering so it won't run or fade. Maybe I don't need to worry with permanent marker, but not sure so that's the reason for the question. I know from experience that water base clear poly will not stand up to damp weather. So I was planning on using a solvent base clear urethane spray for protection. Or should I just use it as is. Bottom line, how long to let the whole thing cure before topping with the solvent base clear.

Opinions?

Re: OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

#2

Re: OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Old rule was "Latex over oil is fine but oil over latex peels quickly." Haven't heard otherwise (but anyone here is welcome to dispute)

So,

If you've only tried big box store water-poly, reconsider your choice. There are waterborne exterior clears but you'll pay for them.

You can also go with a "tie coat" of 2lb cut dewaxed shellac (SealCoat or mix-your-own) and then apply your oil based sealer. Other Old Rule: "Shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac."

BTW Third Old Rule: Direct sun ruins everything given some time.

good luck ;)

Re: OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

#3

Re: OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

Dick Coers

Permanent black marker is not permanent outside. No clear coat will totally block the UV that fades it. Mark is right. No solvent based on top of latex.

Re: OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

#4

Re: OT Clear coat over latex - how long to wait?

Tony - Memphis

I have been using a clear acrylic that I get at Hobby lobby over latex and craft paints/ I have been pleased (surprised really) with how well it holds up.

It is Liquitex clear varnish (I like the satin). It is expensive, so I use their coupons (Michael's too). I have used it on several signs and other 'yard art' projects. Here is a link at Blick.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-acrylic-polymer-varnishes/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=00618-3184&gclid=CjwKCAjwsdfZBRAkEiwAh2z65mhEtiJBX-DJpEV8W8XNjHP-P05MzRBvAp_nYdpE0_0rdoxiPr6E8xoC09cQAvD_BwE

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.