WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New Music Stands Completed

Posts

New Music Stands Completed

#1

Alan Young

New Music Stands Completed

Alan Young

I just delivered this pair of music stands completed in June 2018.


These stands are a variation of the 2015 "Mancini" Music Stands built for the Salmagundi Club of New York City.


These new stands feature an improved Desk Angle Adjustment Mechanism-designed by my father-Roland Young. These stands are made from Cherry, Maple and Brass. I did all the brass work. Finish is Black Furniture Paint and Shellac.


The new Desk Angle Adjustment Mechanism features a front activated- spring loaded lever that allows the user to shift the angle of music from flat-0 degrees to straight up and down - 90 degrees and three angles in between.


The brass handle lever allows the user to lock and unlock the swivel feature.

When the lever is pushed down the desk can be rotated 360 degrees or removed entirely from the brass extention pole.



When the brass lever is pulled up the desk is locked in place and will not rotate or be pulled off the brass extension rod.


>

This entire mechnism was designed and built by my father-Roland Young of Grand Forks, North Dakota
















The happy new ownes of these stands are my great friend from college days-Galen (Left) and my Choir Directer brother-Thomas Young


Re: New Music Stands Completed

#2

Collaboration

David Yoho

Again, Alan, another well executed design. What is more important is the collaboration with your dad on another project. I know how much it must mean to him and how proud he surely is of you. Nice work!

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#3

Very Well Done

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

The woodwork's not bad either!! :D :D

Got to collaborate with my Old Man a couple of times. Those are memories I cherish.

Thanks for the show.

m

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#4

questions

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"Finish is Black Furniture Paint and Shellac. " What is black furniture paint?

Application question. Smooth as turned maple is it still isn't glass smooth in my hands. If I am going to paint I lay down a coat of Kilz, a product that builds, then sands easily. Did you try to achieve "glass smooth" on the painted surfaces, and if so how?

How was the brass treated, if at all? To keep brass shiny it is typically lacquered with nitrocellulose lacquer. Don't know if brass can be shellaced.

The "clef" symbols are a nice touch. Caught my eye. Creative "discoveries" like this one are a delight to find when exploring someone's work. I'm not creative so as an alternative I leave a tool, pencil or scribe mark here and there to be found, but not distract.

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#5

Re: New Music Stands Completed

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Your music stands just keep getting better!! Nicely done my friend. T.

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#7

Re: New Music Stands Completed

Don Orr

They just keep getting better and better! Strong work all around.

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#8

Alan Young

I mis-Labled the finish process-

Alan Young

Hi Bill-The wood for the tops ie "The Desk" and the turned sections is cherry.

In previous stands I have coated them with different primers-one time with thinned hide glue- This time I used paint from Black Dog Salvage


it is a matte finish but builds evenly in one coat.

The golden yellow disk on the base is gilded powder mixed with amber shellace.

After all that finishing-paint and gilding/amber shellac-I top coated with spray lacquer-including the brass. The laquer over the shellacked lower disk seemed to have no coverage issue---

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#9

I do like the paint appearance

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

thanks for the greater detail. Learn a lot from posts building stuff....

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#10

Re: New Music Stands Completed

Bill Howatt

Absolutely amazing, both beautiful and functional pieces.

I don't think I'd ever be able to throw it into the back of Dodge Caravan with the sax and clarinet though :) .

Congratulations on completing such great work!

Bill

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#11

Re: New Music Stands Completed

Hank Knight

Alan, those get better with each iteration. They are beautiful and they should inspire your young musicians. Very nice!

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#12

Re: New Music Stands Completed

Brian Holcombe

Wow! This is incredible work! Thank you for sharing.

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#13

Re: New Music Stands Completed

Ron in Sterling, CT

Alan,

Exceptional work by both you and your Father. Pieces that will be cherished forever. Thanks for sharing all the detail.

Ron

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#14

Re: I mis-Labled the finish process-

David Yoho

Those old Virginia boys do appreciate your patronage, Alan.

Re: New Music Stands Completed

#15

Alan Young

Thanks everyone

Alan Young

This is the 2nd piece in the last year in which I've collaborated with my Dad. Working with him at this point of his life (89 1/2 years old) has been wonderful.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.