WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

replacement clamp pads?

Posts

replacement clamp pads?

#1

replacement clamp pads?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


Pad go missing from my clamps never to be seen again. Any idea where to get replacements?

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#2

Re: replacement clamp pads?

Joe in a Cleveland suburb

I wonder if any of these would work.

Irwin

Irwin Site

WoodCraft

WoodCraft Site

Grainger

Grainger Site

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#3

Re: replacement clamp pads?

Hank Knight

Search for "clamp pads" in "Tools and Home Improvement" at Amazon.com. They have a bunch of them.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#5

Re: replacement clamp pads?

William Duffield

I know you don't approve of pipe clamps, but you should be able to adapt this idea to other styles of clamps. I've been using these pads made from salvaged rubber backed carpet tile scraps for over 20 years. The only tools needed are a case knife and Forstner bit. To make them a little more permanent, some double sided turner's tape helps.


Re: replacement clamp pads?

#6

I’ve done something similar with leather

Keith Newton

And contact cement, but those go missing over the years too. But they are easy to make, and I already had some big thick scraps of leather leftover.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#7

Re: I’ve done something similar with leather


Re: replacement clamp pads?

#8

Re: replacement clamp pads?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The Woodcraft package is just what I need....thanks

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#9

Re: I’ve done something similar with leather

William Duffield

The carpet tiles also eventually crack and then break, but until they completely separate, they work without contact cement. They are also cheap. I've used leather with contact cement on holdfasts, but the shear pressure they develop peels the leather off relatively quickly.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#10

Kneale Brownson

I've use the heavy material in truck bed liners.

Kneale Brownson

But mine are all in storage so I can't photograph them.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#11

Re: replacement clamp pads?

Dave Bair

Roll of self-stick cork.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#12

Side track, Hijack, Is that an F Clamp?

Barry Irby

Now that Bill has his answer, is that an F clamp. I don't have any of this style, because they look flimsy and have the same locking mechanism as pipe clamps that will slip, not allowing for a great deal of pressure. So does anyone else own them and get a lot of use out of them? Should I add a few to my collection?

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#13

A picture worth a 1000 words

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.




At times I have had every one of these clamps securing something on a project.

A large fraction of the pictures I post have the clamps you question gainfully employed. You should have noticed. I have found the clamps from Woodworkers Supply to work well.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#14

Can't compete with Bill.... but I agree.

Henry (Raleigh NC)

So I can't compete with Bill (in oh so many ways) but the majority of my 3' and under clamps are F style. I find their strength-weight-cost combination to be most to my liking.

Barry - All of my F-style clamps have a serrated edge on the bar, so unlike pipe clamps they don't slip. These are not capable to thousands of pounds of clamping force and they do flex (the longer ones do); neither characteristic has been a problem in my shop. I have several brands, mostly red, black, or blue in color. I don't think have any of the species that Bills shows; I have a hodge-podge collection. In fact I even consider the HF F-clamps to be one of their best buys (when on sale). Sorry no pics available.

Henry

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#15

more clamps

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


Here I am gluing on a facing piece to cover up dovetails. Everyone I have built a chest of drawers for wanted the dovetails covered. Take note of that observation.........

I use these clamps constantly. I don't know how anyone can build without them.

Re: replacement clamp pads?

#16

Re: Can't compete with Bill.... but I agree.

Bill Tindall

none of mine flex. It is like the aluminum bar clamps. The better ones are robust. I have Pony, what ever Woodworkers Supply sells and some I got at a tool store in Pigeon Forge, TN..

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.