WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

3D Print - indicator bracket

Posts

3D Print - indicator bracket

#1

3D Print - indicator bracket

Tony - Memphis

Still learning the 3D printing stuff. Lots to learn. I made this bracket for a Delta tenon jig. I drilled and tapped the bolt holes in the base. Seems to work very well. Overkill? Sure, but why not.

While I was at it, I cleaned, polished, waxed, etc. all the various parts of the jig.

Tony

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#2

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

Gary Smyth

I have the same jig. Been used many times. I see that you added a hole and a dial indicator but what is the purpose? Perhaps it is something I ought to consider? What is the relationship to 3D printing?

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#3

That is the perfect use for one of those

CJ in MPLS

We use 3D printers here at work mostly for prototyping various mechanical components that will eventually be machined, though we are finding some applications for plastic parts like yours.

I think having a 3D printer would allow one to make all kinds of cool little bits and bobs. I've often thought that the 3D printer would be a great way to make router inlay jigs for complicated stuff.

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#4

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

Tony - Memphis

The purpose was to have the ability to make tiny little adjustments more accurately that a "bump." If I tighten the lock enough to remove any slack, I can move the whole thing over a thou or two. In the old days, I might use the magnetic base on the saw table to measure. Mostly, though, I cut to the pencil line, then finish it off by hand to fit the mortise.

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#5

PS

Tony - Memphis

The bracket that holds the indicator was 3D printed.

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#6

Re: That is the perfect use for one of those

Tony - Memphis

My thoughts exactly. That is mostly what I have done with it so far. I have made all sorts of little handy brackets and such. I posted a pic of the bandsaw blower/light I made a while back. Ugly but functional. I just made a hub for a windmill thingie for the yard. The wooden version exploded (really!) during some very high winds. Anyway, the 3D printed version is working very well. If I had more time, I would have printed shims for my toilet install project - the floor was out by about 1/2" and the flange was to high.

I used to be in the race car parts biz. Oh what I could have done with this thing back then! I designed a guide plate for a big block chevy - the valves are at compound angles. Pretty complicated piece for a 2D drawing. I did a 3D model (old old AutoCAD) and had it made by stereolithography, which was new at the time. Worked out great. Took weeks to get it all done. With the software and an inexpensive printer, I could have done it in a day or two (the prototype model). And we thought we were really something when we started selling those (they are still selling them far as I know).

Anyway, yeah, fun stuff.

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#7

In no way a challege -- trying to understand

Gary Smyth

OK drilled a through hole in the jig using conventional tools. Made a computer rendering of a bushing (bracket) to accommodate the dial indicator. Correct so far?

Printed out the computer rendered part, inserted it in the new hole, inserted the dial indicator so that the probe/ball extends past the Delta jigs front face. There it can be zeroed to indicate actual adjustment of the face relative to the wood. Correct?

How was the tapping for threads done? Hand tap or 3D printed?

Re: 3D Print - indicator bracket

#8

Re: In no way a challege -- trying to understand

Tony - Memphis

I think you got it! The only threads are the threads in the metal base of the jig, I just drilled those on the drill press and tapped them by hand. I made a template for the holes using a printout of the baser of the bracket with the hole centers marked. The indicator is held onto the bracket via a 10-32 bolt with a wing nut.

I made a similar setup for the fence on my panel cutter. It clamps over the fence.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.