WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Aluminum bar clamps

Posts

Aluminum bar clamps

#1

Jack Guzman from Maine

Aluminum bar clamps

Jack Guzman from Maine

I glue up 2" thick pine into seat blanks for Windsor chair making. Depending on the seat,the total width is from 18" to 24". I currently use pipe clamps. I have seen recommendations here stating that aluminum bar clamps are better for this use. I looked into it briefly but the clamps I saw seemed a little flimsy for the application. The bar was thin and flexible. The clamp surfaces were short. Does anyone know of a brand of clamp that is heavy duty enough to handle 2" slabs?

I do this quite often and would love a better clamp. The ones I use work but they have issues. They are heavy,clumsy to operate and they tend to slip at times.---Jack

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#2

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

Barry Irby

On the recommendation of Bill Tindall I bought some Dubuque aluminum bar clamps. I bought some 24" and some 36" ones. They are well made and sturdy and light weight. I have been using pipe clamps for years and these are much better. They are available for any number of sources at widely varying prices. I got mine from Harry J Epstein Co. for about $26 each. That price was so much better than some others I was a little nervous, but they came through with good service.

The clamps have positive click stops that are much better than pipe clamps. the aluminum does not leave the black stains and the glue peels of the bar easily. They are light and easy to handle. If you can't tell I really like them.

If there is any shortcoming, the screw is a little short and does not have as much "stroke" as I would like, but that's just something to get used to. The handles spin very easily and just reset them to "zero".

The 24" will clamp 24" but not much more. The jaws are not as deep as some but are deep enough.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#3

Re: Aluminum bar clamps *LINK*

David Bassett

This was discussed, in depth, several months ago in one of the forums....

Once you're looking for the Dubuque clamps lots of dealers have them. (Including Lee Valley, Tools for Working Wood, and The Best Things. The only place I found that was "higher" was Woodpeckers, which had them on "sale" for about the normal price at the others.)

BTW- Joel, at TFWW, wrote about these clamps in a recent blog post. (Linked in the URL box below... I hope!)


https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/1053/title/Clamp%20Vs.%20Clamp

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#4

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

Stuart Johnson

Paul Seller's video on aluminum bar clamps looks like it will work to strengthen the clamps:


Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#5

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

You don't need to strengthen the clamps I reviewed not long ago. They were originally made for the furniture industry where they were tightened with an air wrench, according to the person that made them at that time. They are now made by Dubuque.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#6

Jack Guzman from Maine

Got em

Jack Guzman from Maine

I checked out Joel's blog concerning these clamps and called the store to find out the depth of the clamping pad surface. It is 1 3/4" which makes it the same as my pipe clamps so it should work just fine for 2" stock. Only thing is they only sell them in pairs and I always use 3 to clamp a seat. One near each end and another on the opposite side in the center . I had to get 4 but I'm sure a situation will arise where I will need four clamps. You never have too many clamps. thanks for the help.---Jack

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#7

Re: Got em

Andy Lincoln ,in Dearborn MI.

Jack ,

The simple answer was to buy 6 clamps, and glue up 2 sets of seats at a time.

never can have too many clamps and always buy in even numbers :)

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#8

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Got em

Jack Guzman from Maine

Andy,you are right and I thought of that but I'm cheap. :D

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#9

Re: Got em

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

top middle clamp should be positioned on top of assembly and the two end clamps underneath.

As I recall the size of a seat, 2 clamps would be adequate, so now you can glue 2 seats at a time.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#10

Parallel clamps

Brian Holcombe

Hi Jack.

I like parallel or F clamps for this process. I’ve never had trouble with them and they exert a good deal of force if necessary.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#11

Re: Got em

Andy Lincoln ,in Dearborn MI.

Think of it as "pennywise," not cheap,thrifty,tight.....

PS my desk clock is still a work of art.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#12

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Got em

Jack Guzman from Maine

"As I recall the size of a seat, 2 clamps would be adequate". You would think so but I have glued alot of seat blanks and three is what works for me. After cutting to width on my tablesaw I put the two pieces together then fold them to joint the edges as one piece with a hand plane. I check the joint by standing one piece on the other and look for light through the joint. The edges should be dead tight and the middle show a tiny line of light or none. Then I set up a pair of clamps and assemble the two pieces between the jaws. I clamp til I get squeeze out then place the top clamp and tighten it. I always get more squeeze out from this third clamp. That is what tells me it is needed. My seats are all clear white pine.This stuff is flexible,even in short lengths. I would prefer one piece seats but wide clear pine is hard to get.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#13

Wide & Clear

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Ever tried Poplar, Jack? In my area 30" trees are pretty common.

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#14

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Wide & Clear

Jack Guzman from Maine

No. I know where to find wide stuff but it is expensive. Unless I get a special request I use glue-ups. I would love to build a chair using a poplar seat but noone in my area carries wide poplar. I may order a blank just to try it but it will cost a bit. I get my seat stock from a local saw mill but he doesn't deal in poplar and large pines are rare. The shipping is what makes it pricey.---Jack

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#15

Re: Wide & Clear

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

If I happen to run across some, I'll let you know. ;)

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#16

PS

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

How thick do you need?

Re: Aluminum bar clamps

#17

Jack Guzman from Maine

2"


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.