WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Galleries

Posts

Galleries

#1

Galleries

gorman

I just finished a unique piece that is based on a 1950's piece that was featured in a furniture exhibit at the Brooklyn museum. I think it's the type of piece that a gallery would want to show but I have not tried this channel yet. I am outside New York City can anyone point me in the direction of galleries in my area that show furniture? Thanks for your help!

Re: Galleries

#2

Re: Galleries

Don Stephan

As experienced people reply, would be helpful also to know if galleries are equally interested in people with just one item and in people who say they will produce gallery items on a regular basis.

Re: Galleries

#3

That's The Issue

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Galleries are not museums. They are businesses who seek a certain clientele to buy what they have. Gallery customers are those high net worth people who buy in galleries for a) the status and b) the investment. Copy work, regardless of how well done, is not likely to get much response unless the store caters to people who are looking for "good stuff cheap."

If you want a gallery to take on your work, you need to demonstrate not just its quality but also that your work is likely to increase in value and that you can produce additional items to meet demand. A 1-off piece, regardless, is unlikely to get you where you want to go. Bring in a slideshow of 20 pieces showing both production ability and versatility and you'll build value in your "brand."

There's an old days in the art world, "To get into a gallery, you need a NAME, but to get that name, you need to get into a gallery."

Re: Galleries

#4

Clarification

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"Copy work, regardless of how well done, is not likely to get much response ".

I see loads of Krenov "look alike" as well as Nakashima in the admittedly limited galleries I get to visit. Then there is the Period Furniture which is all a copy of some thing previous.

Would you clarify your statement?

Re: Galleries

#5

Re: Galleries

Dick Coers

I had to call in a favor to even get looked at in our local gallery. When I first approached the gallery owner, she said, "I just can't sell wood." So latter, I asked my friend who was represented there, along with his wife. That got my foot in the door. A few months latter, a single artist show. That was the highlight of my career, and I've been in that gallery every since. I've been off my game lately with family issues, but still sell a little bit. As far as I am concerned, it takes color to sell in a gallery. To most people, natural wood reminds them of something their Grandfather or Uncle did in their basement. Add a couple layers of dye and get some depth, and they relate that to art. After all, you have to compete with glass, ceramics, and paintings in a gallery. Shades of brown makes it tough! Sometimes, not even high figured pieces are enough to catch the customer's eye.

Re: Galleries

#6

Bill, He's In New York

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

A real Gallery here will want original work.

Gorman's best bet for his 1-off reproduction is to shop around the affluent areas in North New Jersey for Upper Crust/Carriage Trade furniture stores.

Even at that he's going to have to demonstrate the ability to product to meet anticipated demand.

Re: Galleries

#7

Re: Galleries-Clarification

gorman

Hi All,

There seems to be a preoccupation with your misunderstanding that this is a reproduction. Something that is based upon something does not make it a reproduction nor does it signify that it is not original. To the contrary this is very original and has received a great deal of positive feedback. So what I was hoping for is way less pontification and an answer to my question. This is a site for discussion of craftsmanship and it's promotion, right?

Re: Galleries

#8

For More

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Why don't you post a couple of good photos of your item here. Many galleries have dedicated points of view as to the kinds of work they sell. Just because a particular location is a gallery doesn't mean they'd be interested in what you have to offer. Blind references waste both the gallery owner's and maker's time.

OTH, doing simple google searches for New Jersey a/o Westchester, NY for "galleries" with a qualifier like "art" "wood______" or "furniture" will get you a bunch of places to contact. Pick up the phone and start digging. If you handle the contacts correctly, you might just get some more useful leads. Be prepared to send photos and leave the attitude behind.

Re: Galleries

#9

Re: Galleries

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

First, how about posting a photo of that piece here? I for one would like to see it.

As for galleries.... The first challenge is finding galleries that even carry furniture. They are few and far between. But for your search, you are looking for galleries that specialize in "functional art".

A photo of one piece is not sufficient. You need to have a portfolio of several works that demonstrate your style and general quality. The photos must be professional quality with a backdrop.

It helps to have a professionally designed web site to provide.

Remember that gallery directors (in the really good galleries) get submissions all the time. That puts them in the envious position of being highly selective. Galleries have limited space for furniture. So they reserve that space for work that they feel meets the vision of that gallery. Mark made some good points in that regard in earlier posts.

Your correspondence with the gallery director is vital. So make sure it is very cordial and professional.

Competition to get into quality galleries is fierce. So don't take rejection personally. Just keep trying and hopefully a door will open. Good luck.

T.

Re: Galleries

#10

Careful Tommy

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

You're skating close to a pontification situation. ;)

Re: Galleries

#11

I'm not sure, Mark

Yonak

I can't really say if Thomas pontificated so much as he elucidated.

Re: Galleries

#12

Could Be

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

You know how it goes with them big words with more than two syla....whatevers

:D

Re: Galleries

#13

Nice

John in NM

Thanks for doing your part to ridicule a new participant, I doubt I would bother coming back if I were him. Is it any wonder this forum is often just the same bunch of long time posters having the same arguments over and over again?

You owe the guy an apology at this point. Save that jerk attitude for replying to me - I earn every bit of it by needling you even though I know I shouldn't do it!

Re: Galleries

#14

Trying to be helpful

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

This gentleman is simply interested in selling his work in galleries. I have many years of experience with that. I am merely passing along some advice in order to hopefully help him. T.

Re: Galleries

#15

Uh, Oops

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I tried to give a bit of guidance on galleries in this area, and how to approach them. I even ran a google search of my own to see the results. Mr. Gorman accused (and insulted) me of "pontificating" apparently because I couldn't just tell him where to try to place his piece without even seeing it.

Having fought the New York gallery scene when I had my studio operating, I got 1st hand experience in what Mr. Gorman is seeking. I reached a certain level of success but even at that, the starving artist routine didn't appeal to my wife and two little ones so I bailed for better economic opportunities. As Tommy said, the competition for gallery space is fierce. It's often nasty as well, with artists of real merit denigrated and patronized, and the artist almost always getting the short (and dirty) end of the financial stick. "Don't like it, Pal? I got 12 more guys just begging for your space in the lineup."

It's nice to give and get "ataboys" and cudoes to work posted here. But that's not what Mr. Gordon was seeking. He got information as if he is a newbie to gallery society, and a glimpse at how difficult it is to get where he wants to go. His response was inappropriate, as, by the way, was yours.

You may now have the last word; I'm done.

Re: Galleries

#16

Re: That's The Issue

Tony - Memphis

My wife was just saying that the other day. There is a well respected gallery in town that she would like to be represented by. One of their qualifications is steady production of work for them to sell. It is a tough gig. Then there's the pressure to keep producing.

Maybe a consignment shop would be a better option? Some of those are pretty gallery like.

Re: Galleries

#17

More responses here than on woodweb though


Re: Galleries

#18

Look for craft coops, or local

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I live a long ways from NYC so I know of nothing specific. But I live in a crafty area and there are loads of outlets for craft that are not "galleries". Some are artist coops. I have offered for sale pieces in one near by. And there are business that rent out space for artists to sell stuff. There are a bunch in Asheville, NC. Our area has craft and furniture shows that are not difficult to get in with good work. Local woodworkers would know of any in your area. These would get your piece exposed to clients. And there are interior decorators. You could try shopping a picture of what ever this piece is to decorators who would sell directly to clients. If it has a market a decorator would confirm it could be sold. And there is Etsy (is that the name) where you can post for sale craft items on the Internet.

If bold, you could post some detailed pictures here on WoodCentral and get opinions of where it might sell.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.