WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Removing Aluminum windows Question???

Posts

Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#1

Removing Aluminum windows Question???

Barry Irby

The house I live in has aluminum horizontal sliding windows that are approaching 40 years old. They were excellent back in the day, not so much anymore. I am going to replace them with vinyl windows of the same size. The problem is the aluminum windows have Nailing flanges on them under the plywood siding.

What I want to do is cut the flanges and leave them, remove the old windows, and install the new windows on top of the plywood and then install vinyl siding.

So, anybody got a better idea? How would you cut the flanges, if you would cut them? I have lots of choices. Sawzall, mini circular saw, regular size skill saw, routers or disk grinder. No torch or Light Saber, but I don't think this is the application.

(I COULD cut away the plywood and remove the nails and remove the windows whole, but I think it would be a PITA)

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#2

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

JohnV

Al cuts easily. I'd use a medium tooth sawsall blade and just cut it out. You could also use a small circular saw and do the same thing. Be sure to wear protective glasses , gloves and long sleeves.

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#3

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

Jason Roehl in Lafayette, IN

Which would you rather cut vertically, with chips flying all over--aluminum or plywood?

Jason

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#4

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

Dustmaker Mike

How I do it is pretty simple and fast. I use a cordless circular saw and cut about 1.5 inches away from the window, pry out the old plywood and take the nail flange out with the window. I then install the new window right into the opening. To cut the corners I use a multi tool. If there is brick molding around the window I use the multi tool to cut the caulk and then remove the brick molding, then the window. Replace the window and then install new brick molding.

I would think if you are going to install siding over the plywood you would want to inset the window so the brick mold will look correct. My brother and I have done four houses like this, most of them only took a weekend to get them all done.

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#5

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

john in lutz

I have had aluminum windows replaced by vinyl windows in two different homes. What the professional installers did to remove the old window was to remove all of the glass inserts so that just an aluminum frame was left in the opening. They then pried the aluminum frame pieces into the opening. The exterior aluminum flange tore loose from the nailing and were easily removed. One of the home had wooden siding and all of the trim just stayed in place. The other was stucco and it was not damaged.

The installer had measured and put in the opening a vinyl window without a flange. It was screwed to the existing frame and then sealed with an Elastomeric caulking. Live in an area where the windows have to be wind rated and this process passes the code inspection. This appears to a standard way to install replacement windows.

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#6

Hmm?? thinking, thinking......

Barry Irby

I have a cordless circ saw and a multitool. But, of all the tools I listed, I did not consider a wrecking bar. Is it possible brute force is the answer? When all else fails, get a bigger hammer or in this case a bigger wrecking bar?

I had aluminum windows replaced on one of my rentals. They were old awning style windows of practically commercial gauge aluminum. The "pros" came in and collapsed the windows into the opening and ripped them out. Could it be they knew something I had not thought about? (In this case, they broke the glass and left it scattered everywhere. I got a case of the ass and made them come back and clean up. They were really pissy about it. Not pretty.)

I know I can get the sliding sash out, wonder if I can get the fixed one out?

Now I am down to deciding on the windows. I need to have the windows here before I start taking them out.

Thanks for ideas and advice.

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#7

Interesting

Tony - Memphis

We live in a brick house that is about 20 years old. I have always wondered how a window would be replaced as they were installed before the bricks and they are the Al frame type (cheapies). I'd like to replace them both for energy and aesthetics, but a buddy of mine spent $10k on just one side of his house (similar vintage). We just recently got "back in black" on the house, so I don't want to invest given we may sell someday. These windows don't leak, but they are not very efficient. In winter, it feels like you are standing next to an iceberg when you get close to them.

Thought about storm windows, but never took it that far.

Good luck Barry. Hope it works out well.

Re: Removing Aluminum windows Question???

#8

Re: Interesting

Barry Irby

I have actually done replacement windows ten times or more. About every version you can think of. I had forgotten about the pros collapsing the aluminum ones.

I have been told the cheap vinyl ones have about a seven year life expectancy. Don't know if that's true or just propaganda from the expensive window people.

I recommend them, it's easier to do than it seems. Check it out. Today I plan to do some research on Pella Vs Andersen. (Lowe"s and Home Depot.) Trying to get a grip on the quality.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.