WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Painting question

Posts

Painting question

#1

Painting question

Keith Newton

A friend was asking about bleed through on Western Cedar, primed with Kilz latex.

If it's bleeding through the primer, will it bleed through the next two finish coats, or does it need shellac over those places?

Will a rattle can be OK, or will it want to lift the Kilz?

Re: Painting question

#2

Re: Painting question

Henry (Raleigh NC)

Yes it will continue to bleed through top coat layers if it bleeds through primer. Latex primer wasn't the best choice, but I have knotty pine that is even starting to bleed through even the alkyd primer (which I used after the bleed-through on a SW latex primer and top coat that SW personnel promised me would not bleed).

I would not expect shellac to cause problems on top of primer - personally I would brush it on, but several coats of sprayed shellac should work too.

Henry

Re: Painting question

#3

Re: Painting question

Don Stephan

Be sure to use dewaxed shellac, in case latex is applied over it.

Re: Painting question

#4

Re: Painting question

Barry Irby

Many years ago I put redwood siding on a house, unusual for this end of the country. I was the builder. The buyer wanted to paint it himself. I got him to prime it all the way around with latex primer. Then we installed it and he applied two top coats. It bled through. Extractive bleeding. The paint store recommended another coat of primer and a single top coat. We had only done the front at this point. We did the rest of it with double primer and it was successful. In fact, no one repainted the house for at least thirty years and it still looked OK.

I would look into Bin made by Zinser to stop the bleeding. It's white shellac. Rattle cans or brush. Double check with paint store or paint company.

Re: Painting question

#5

Stop The Bleeding

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I've had good success with Cabot's Problem Solver on Eastern White Cedar. Knots get double coated.

Re: Painting question

#6

Thanks everyone, I’ve passed tour advice on


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.