WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

just an observation...

Posts

just an observation...

#1

just an observation...

Ryan

I enjoy seeing pics of other people's shops scattered throughout the postings. I have noticed however how clean they all seem to be. No dust, no tools scattered around, no shavings...not at all what my shop looks like. I often wonder if anyone does any real work in their shop!

Re: just an observation...

#2

Here ya go...

John K Jordan

With a couple of woodturning students. Take careful notice of the artfully placed shavings on the floor.


And if that's not enough, this is winner of the coveted Extreme Shop Untidiness award. Look and learn. Multi-use area - tablesaw, assembly, cushaw pumpkin storage, carving and chip carving layout station, extra tubs of turning wood storage, and general "stack things up until I need to use the saw" area. Or I forget, maybe this one was "stack it up just for the photo" so it looks like I might have actually worked on someth'n at some point.


JKJ

Re: just an observation...

#3

Everyone cleans before the guests arrive


Re: just an observation...

#4

Re: Here ya go...

Yonak

Watermelons definitely add to the allure of the milieu.

Re: just an observation...

#5

In my case ...bad observatiion

Gary Smyth

It's not IF any work is done, but CAN any work be done. I used to be Japanese like with fastidious thoughts and surroundings but I got lazy and things started to accumulate. No longer a priority for "everything in its place".






Re: just an observation...

#6

Re: Here ya go...

Don Evans

I was wondering if he was going to turn them?

Re: just an observation...

#7

I have wondered the same thing????

Barry Irby

My shop looks like it suffered a dust storm compared to most I see, here and on Youtube. I have been in my shop for almost forty years. The first 25 had no dust collection. Now I have a DC, a homemade air clean and a Jet air cleaner. And a coat of dust everywhere.

I wonder if it would reappear if I cleaned up thoroughly? And ran the dust suppression systems studiously? It would take a lot of work to find out. I figure the dust stuck to everything is not much of a threat to my health.

Re: just an observation...

#8

Re: just an observation...

John in NM


Its slightly cleaner now, but not much.

Re: just an observation...

#9

Way Too Clean

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

on the other hand/side . . .


Re: just an observation...

#10

Re: just an observation...

Kevin French

I'm not going to post a pic of my shop but it's so small I HAVE the keep it clean or it becomes a trip hazard.

Re: just an observation...

#11

Jeez .. how do any of you get any work done ?


Re: just an observation...

#12

Yes, But how long before you clean that up?

Keith Newton

I've got a trailer full of trash and scraps plus all my cans in the shop are full. I should take a pic while I'm out at the landfill and another of my shop, then see if any of you can tell which is which in a side by side comparison! ha

Re: just an observation...

#13

Buy a vacuum

Brian Holcombe

And learn to master its use. :D

Re: just an observation...

#14

Re: Buy a vacuum

Philip Duffy

Amen to that!~~ !! If you had to make room for "Mom's Car" every evening you would own it and Master it every day. Sadly. p.

Re: just an observation...

#15

Re: Here ya go...

Don Stephan

For the benefit of more urbanized readers, cushaw squash is the cat's meow for pumpkin pies - not as strong a taste, but be forwarned there is a surprising amount of flesh in the neck. Seldom does a cushaw make just one pie.

The cushaw suggest the picture was taken during the fall. You never cease to amaze me John.

Re: just an observation...

#16

Re: just an observation...

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

I tidy up the shop between projects. But by the end of most projects, the place is a post-apocalyptic scene. But sometimes I have to draw the line. When the going gets dusty, I take it outside!


Re: just an observation...

#17

ebd

Re: just an observation...

ebd

My shop is in a barn, dirt floor covered by old, slotted rubber runners (from the dump) on the lower section, black walnut chips on the upper level, dirt in wood storage. The only thing clean is the cast surfaces of my tools. I keep them clean and covered with WD-40 when not in use. Otherwise they rust.




Re: just an observation...

#18

Re: just an observation...

Ryan

I feel much better now I know I'm not alone!!!

Re: just an observation...

#19

watermelons

John K Jordan

I wish I had watermelons. Those are cushaws, excellent in their own right. Called cushaw pumpkin and cushaw squash you can use them anywhere you use squash or pumpkin. They make the best pies. Some will be 14" in diameter, maybe 30" long.


JKJ

Re: just an observation...

#20

turning veggies

John K Jordan

I did turn a goblet from a big carrot once.


JKJ

Re: just an observation...

#21

Kneale Brownson

WARNING

Kneale Brownson

Just completed cleaning out the 28X48 barn I built in the 1970s and immediately began accumulating. About 25 years ago I added "lofts" at each end of the second story. Amazing what you'll "save" when you have the space. We filled two 30-yard dumpsters from just the upstairs. We'd already filled two 40-foot containers with the ground floor tools.

Beware the filling of available space!!!


That's the barn behind some of the tool removal.

Here's where some of our "stuff" went:


Re: just an observation...

#22

Actually

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

After each session.

Friends could tell what kind of wood I was turning from the color of the mulch beds around the house ;)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.