WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Belt Sander Recommendation

Posts

Belt Sander Recommendation

#1

Belt Sander Recommendation

Stuart Johnson

I recently posted about my 2-12 x 14 belt sander running hot. After replies here and further Google research it sounds like this sander is only good for small quick jobs.

My current project is going to require more than just a bit of quick use. What are some recommendations or what to stay away from purchasing?

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

#2

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

Barry Irby

I have a Porter Cable 4 X 24. It replaced the Craftsman version of a 4 x 24 from way back. I like it. Would buy it again. I made a stand for it that lets it sit upside down and serve as bench top sander. I don't use it as much anymore now that I have a larger disk/belt combo.

It is heavy but that is good in that you just let the sander do the work. I like the wider belts because they seem to have less tendency to leave "snake trails". Dust collection on it works pretty well.

PS. I made the mistake of buying a lifetime's supply of belts. Don't do that. They age out just sitting on the shelf. Put a four or five year old one on the machine and it basically explodes when you set it down. I called the company that made them and they said "Oh yeah, they only last about a year." I think they should have a use by date on them.

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

#3

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I wouldn't trade my Ryobi 3x21 EVS for anything. Biggest plus, aside from the balance and power, is the Ryobi sander frame (sold separately) that carries the sander. The frame has a micro-adjust knob that allows the contact patch to vary from very slight/light to full weight and contact. More importantly the frame controls the tool to prevent tilting and "belt sander digs" in the surface so it indexes the abrasives to the surrounding surface. I have used it to very carefully remove the finish on a veneered top while removing almost no wood. I also use it to finish-sand a wide slab surface after indexing and basic flattening with a router planer.

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

#4

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

Dick Coers

I was a big fan of Porter-Cable, but no idea what their quality has become. I'd shop for Makita or Bosch now. Depending on your shop size, when someone says they have a lot of sanding work ahead, I'd suggest a used stroke sander. A wonderful addition to a shop, and they go for cheap! If all your sanding coming up is on the faces, get a 4" wide.

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

#5

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

Jim Dillon

Stuart, I've had my Bosch 4x24 for maybe 18+ years and it has been a work horse. I also have a sanding frame and built a fixture to hold the sander horizontally and use that a lot. Dust collection is pretty good when attached to a shop vac. I've sanded a lot of hardwood flooring (yes, I'm a masochist !) while using the sanding frame and the motor never got more than warm to the touch. The 4x24 sander is not a lightweight sander so keep that in mind if you ever intend to use it overhead etc.. Barry is right. Do NOT buy a "lifetime" supply of sanding belts (as I did) no matter how great the sale price. The adhesive holding the belt together does not age well. I'm puzzled by the overheating of your nearly new sander. Sorry it happened. Jim

Re: Belt Sander Recommendation

#6

Ryobi 2nd

Gary Smyth

I'm not a great fan of Ryobi anything but the 3 x 21 works to perfection, but get the sanding frame. It will reduce of the likely possibility of ripples with aggressive belts. The sanding frame is not cheap but get it anyway.

The frame is a royal PIA installing as there are springs that want to fly as soon as they get the chance of freedom. Still the frame is a good idea. I does its job and makes your work easier.

The Ryobi can be turned upside down and used for quick sanding without building a separate box to house the sander. I use it that way often to rough out a shapes like for hammer handles.

Also, I don't know about the innards, but Bosch has a sander that is a twin to the Ryobi. The Ryobi is less expensive though. Not the heavy duty sander that is hard to control, but you won't be disappointed unless you really need the big guns.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.