WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

Posts

Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#1

Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

Dick Coers

Had an odd situation today, how to get a chipmunk out of our clothes drier. The little bastard somehow climbed up to the vent, and slid down the rigid exhaust pipe. I first put a garbage bag over the elbow on the exhaust, but nothing. Opened the door, there he was looking through the lint trap at me. Went back, removed the elbow, and got the shop vac plugged into the exhaust. Still nothing, so turned on the drier, air only. I thought I heard him go through the hose, but the vac is too loud to be sure. Cracked open the lid, there it was. Bet that was a hell of a ride getting pulled through 4' of vac hose!!!! Hardware cloth over the vent tomorrow. 2nd time that's happened in 10 years. Last time, chipmunk got his head stuck in the fan. The drier stalled out, and I thought lint must have clogged up something. Put the same vac in the exhaust and rotated the drum a little. Imagine my surprise when I brought out the hose and saw a tail! So Craftsman shop vac get a 5 star review for chipmunk removal.

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#2

Defeated

Gary Smyth

Chipmunks are a chore. I chased one (possibly two) for three weeks with no success. Still haven't located the little imp. He or she may still be here, be gone, or dead. I tried live traps, food, open doors. even an enclosed room where I hoped to limit the space to go after the critter. That little striped, step jumping, climbing, speedy, animal that can run really fast across a room and disappear into spaces I thought too small for it to possibly fit has defeated me. Good to find something to delivered success.

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#3

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

Barry Irby

I heard that out in Prairie Dog country someone rigged up a truck with a very powerful vac on it and goes around getting them away from golf courses and pastures. Claims to suck them out of their borrows, a little dirty but none the worse for wear. Takes them out into the sticks and releases them. Sure!

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#4

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

JohnV

This illustrates why there was a kid's cartoon with two ornery chipmunks as the star characters. Believe the names were Chip and Dale.

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#5

They made furniture

Dustmaker Mike

I believe it was Chip and Dale style

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#6

Re: They made furniture

JohnV

The name pun was intentional by Walt Disney in 1943.

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#7

Thought

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

they were the dudes with no shirts but collars and bow ties

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#8

I figured that(-; 


Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#9

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

Terry Quiram

We once had a garter snake get into our dryer. Wife got it out before I got home from work.

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#10

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

John K Jordan

We once had a garter snake get into our dryer. Wife got it out before I got home from work.

What a woman. My wife would have immediately left the premises until the entire area was certified snake free by professionals.

JKJ

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

#11

Re: Old screaming Craftsman shop vac to the rescue

Don Evans

I discovered these dryer vents years ago and have used them since. They work very well and should stop little things from getting inside. I've never had that problem with these anyway.

Inside the unit is a cup that is turned upside down, air blows it up so lent can get out. When the dryer stops the cup falls back down blocking entre into the pipe. Standard 4" dryer pipe attaches to it.

Don

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.