WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Belt Sander Getting Hot

Posts

Belt Sander Getting Hot

#1

Belt Sander Getting Hot

Stuart Johnson

I have a 2-1/2 x 14 Porter Cable belt sander that I bought several years ago for a cabinet build. I haven't used is since. Yesterday a bought some new belts and when using a 50 grit to do some fast clean up the sander got so hot I couldn't hold it and the smoke started to leak out. I let it cool off, blew it out with the air hose and it works just fine but still gets to hot to use after 5 minutes. Is there any fix for this problem or is it about to bite the dust? With a less aggressive belt cause less over heating?

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

#2

What shape are the brushes in?


Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

#3

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

JohnV

One frequent cause for belt sander overheating is too much pressure. the weight of the sander is all the pressure you should need.

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

#4

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

John in NM

Bearings or brushes, those are the two parts that get hot.

An aggressive belt should be fine if its sharp, they tend to feel grabby, but I don't think that equates to more load on the motor. I would expect more load when the belt dulls and starts to burn, and a moderate to fine belt will be worse that way once they dull. But that is just a seat of the pants opinion, worth all that you paid :D

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

#5

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

Stuart Johnson

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'll ease up on the pressure and check the brushes although with less than 4 or 5 hours total use I don't think they should be a problem.

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

#6

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

Norm Roy

Stuart, I have that sander, it has always gotten hot when I use it. Takes a while to cool off. Had to replace the drive belt two years ago, real pain. I now use it for short periods only and allow it to cool between uses. It is very useful for small jobs and much easier on me than my 4" unit. Norm

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

#7

Re: Belt Sander Getting Hot

TomD

I use a variety of belt sanders in the shop, and wouldn't be without them, particularly for metal work, so this isn't the preachy segment of the thread. However, if any of what you are doing could be done with a hand plane, particularly wooden, it would be a faster and more friendly world for you. My hand held belt sander is really old, an early plastic makita. So can't help you with your purchase. I would like to get one of those old PCs that looks like a choo choo.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.