WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Stihl 020AV super

Posts

Stihl 020AV super

#1

Stihl 020AV super

Ken Kimura

Just picked up a 1979-1994 020av super without any manual. Runs great but dies slowly at idle. The L and H screws are clearly marked and easy to figure out. My question is the location of the LA screw. There is no adjuster screw in the hole marked LA on the case but just below the LA hole there is a hole marked MIX. In that hole is an adjuster screw. The carburetor is the Walbro WT-15. Is that the air/fuel mixture screw? I'm thinking different carburetors were fitted on this model and the case provided different holes for those options. I'm reluctant to mess with the screws as the saw works but I have to goose the throttle to keep it going. Thanks for any help. Ken

Re: Stihl 020AV super

#2

Re: Stihl 020AV super

John K Jordan

I don't know about that model, sorry, but it's pretty safe to experiment with the adjustment screws. Just make a little mark lined up with the slot and try turning 1/4 turn in either direction. If it runs worse put it back. If no change or it runs a bit better try turning a bit more but keep up with how much. (I used to even know what screw did what and why but that's long gone from my aging brain!)

I didn't check, but I have found downloadable Stihl manuals for my saws on their web site.

JKJ

Re: Stihl 020AV super

#3

Re: Stihl 020AV super

John in NM

There are tons of forums concerning saws and wood cutting. Some are very particular about "pros only" though, so look for a "homeowner" or similar subforum before going to the trouble of registering (some of them guys got multiple "chips" on their shoulders :D -- chainsaws throw the chips all over of course).

I'd try that for advice, some of those guys are very helpful.

Also - a lot of those old saws were intended to run 16:1 fuel. Try that first. I've seen modern saws killed by running 50:1 at moderate altitudes where there's not enough air to cool them - once they warm up they won't idle and they stall when goosed - no compression - but run fine when cold.

Re: Stihl 020AV super

#4

Re: Stihl 020AV super

KennKimura

Thanks John and John. I counted the revolutions seating the L and H screws. Both were turned out one and a third. I turned both out one and a quarter. A few pulls later and the saw was fine, good acceleration and consistent idle. I didn't have to touch the screw in the MIX hole. Very happy. This is an older saw, all metal and made in Germany. I got it because my MS310 was beating me up.

I tried the arborist and forestry forums. Got to the point where there was too much advice.

Re: Stihl 020AV super

#5

Re: Stihl 020AV super

TomD

Stihl saws from 79 on (not much experience before that point with Stihl saws, we used homelite in the back 40), seem to run on 25-1 if using generic oil, and 50-1 with Stihl oil. I have a 090, and used to have something like an 010 from that period, plus a friend had just about everything they made. I have an 026 at the moment, but it is probably almost 20 years old, they seem to have changed the numbering on those. I put minor amounts of seafoam in each fill, like a cap's worth from the SF bottle.

I use Youtube for most of this kind of instruction these days. Chainsaw setting seems to have gotten more scientific with the availability of aps for your phone that let you work from known rpms for the various setting. I don't have a phone, so no aps for me, but it was interesting to see what people were doing.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.