WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Miter guage

Posts

Miter guage

#1

Miter guage

Jerry Gibbs

Any experience with the Osborne miter guage? The extended fence is supported by a triangulated bar.

Re: Miter guage

#2

Re: Miter guage

Dale Warder

I have an Osborne miter,and I generally like it. I expected it to very rigid, however, in use you must be careful to not apply too much pressure off center with a heavy workpiece. It is great to set to an angle. To set an angle for the opposite side of the blade, the triangle brace must be removed and reassembled on the other side of the bar. I still like it ho2ever.

Re: Miter guage

#3

Re: Miter guage

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

When I was looking for a more accurate miter gauge for my TS I considered the Osborne; however, it appeared to be difficult to switch from left to right. I chose the Kreg Miter gauge instead and couldn't be happier. The Shot pin accuracy of the Kreg makes ordinary angles highly repeatable. Even odd angles are easy to set on the verier type scale. It switches easily from left to right and back again.



Lee

Re: Miter guage

#4

Re:Good one

Jesse Cloud

I have the same one. The t-tracks allow you to attach jigs, which I have found handy several times. Its also adjustable to dial in just the right snug fit in the miter slot.

Re: Miter guage

#5

Re: Miter guage and rant

Gary Smyth

I have one. Works. Detents inn the angle work fine and match precisely with an adjustable drafting triangle. No complaints and have confidence in detent angles.

Looked at others and went with the Osbprn ten years ago. Newer gauges may be just as accurate and have more convenience, but mine works fine --and cost less.

My bitch is why I have to buy a separate miter gauge when the saw mfg. ought to supply a accurate gauge with the saw -- not as an additional expense. With CNC, manufacturers ought to supply accuracy with their gauges tuned to their saws at a reasonable cost included when purchasing the saw. Money grubbers all!

Re: Miter guage

#6

And another...

John in NM

I really like this miter gauge, I've had one for years. Simple and versatile.

Re: Miter guage

#7

Re: Kreg?

Jerry Gibbs

I assume the above positive reviews are about Kreg. Thanks, it helps.

Re: Miter guage

#8

Ellis Walentine

I remember when...

Ellis Walentine

... Osborne brought his first production prototype to our American Woodworker offices back in the 90's. I was an early supporter of the concept, and if anything, he's taken it further. This isn't to say that there aren't more versatile jigs out there, but it's hard to detract from the Osborne concept.

Ellis

Re: Miter guage

#9

Re: Miter guage and rant

Michael van pelt

Wow! Take a chill pill! LOL!!!! Cars come with upgrades available, houses come with upgrades available, insurance policys come with upgrades, food even comes with upgrades, and they all cost extra! People making a living? A better mousetrap?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.