WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Removing dent in walnut???

Posts

Removing dent in walnut???

#1

Removing dent in walnut???

Barry Irby

Been working on my Grandfather Clock I built when I was a kid. To clean up a ragged edge I ran a router with a flush trim bit on the side for the base. It left an imprint or line from the bearing. There is finish on the wood. How can I raise the wood. If it were bare I could wet it or steam it. With fifty year old Antique Oil on it what can I do?

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

#2

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

Brian Holcombe

I’d still steam it.

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

#3

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Barry

Try a hair dryer first. If there is moisture trapped inside by the finish, the heat will be enough. Be gentle with the heat.

If this does not work, then try draping a hot, moist rag over the area. I am concerned that this may affect the finish, so would only try it second.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

#4

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

Ralph Lipeles

Can you can get in back of the bad area by going inside the clock? If yes, you can then wet the inside and then heat it from the inside.

Re: Removing dent in walnut???

#5

Thanks, I got it....

Barry Irby

Used a heat gun, never would have thought of that. Sanded lightly, wiped it with a wet cloth, let it soak a bit, waved the heat gun over it. Rinse and repeat.

It worked nicely. Thanks again.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.