WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question for John K. Jordan

Posts

Question for John K. Jordan

#1

Question for John K. Jordan

Brad Chenoweth

Hi John,

What is the brand name of the high-end knife sharpener you use that you posted about a while back? I can't seem to get the search function to work. Thanks.

Brad Chenoweth

Re: Question for John K. Jordan

#2

Re: Question for John K. Jordan

John K Jordan

I don't know if it's exactly "high end" but it sure gives professional results, the best I've had from any I've used.

RealSharp: http://www.realsharpllc.com/

It's basically a horizontal belt sander with two abrasive and one polishing belt, a motor, a platform of sorts, and some jigs to hold the knives. Not cheap and when you see it you might think "I could have made that." :) I use mine a lot on pocket, fillet, skinning, and kitchen knives.

JKJ

Re: Question for John K. Jordan

#3

Re: Question for John K. Jordan

Barry Irby

I looked at that and liked it but could not stand the price.

I bought the little 1 x 30" belt sander from Harbor Freight and an assortment of belts off E-bay. Grits available up to 2500 and maybe higher. I went to 1000. I also go a leather strop belt for it and that came with a diamond stick. I also bought a little angle guide for it that lets you get consistent angles. I may have $100 in all of it and would not buy the angle guide again.

I can get a knife paper slicing sharp in a minute or two.

The machine is not powerful by any stretch. (You can stop it with your finger) That may be a good thing. It does this job nicely, but it is not a grinder. I do not regret the purchase.

Re: Question for John K. Jordan

#4

Re: Question for John K. Jordan

Walt

I too have the Harbor Freight 1 X 30 belt sander. I use it on its back so the belt is horizontal, should make a stand for it. I bought a few Silicon Carbide belts from klingspor and it works pretty well. I don't know it it'd produce "shave with it" sharp but plenty sharp enough for kitchen use. If I wanted to sharpen plane irons for example it would be nice to have some sort of guide to keep the edge straight.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.