WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

My Fein Is Not Fine

Posts

My Fein Is Not Fine

#1

My Fein Is Not Fine

Hank Knight

For the past several weeks my Fein Turbo III (older model) has been disgorging bits of foam sound insulation. It was getting worse; so, yesterday, I took it apart and found that all the foam sound insulation around the motor has decomposed to a crumbly mush. It was beyond salvage, so I pulled it out and disposed of it. The vac still sucks well; but, as one would imagine, it is considerably noisier than it used to be. My first thought was that the insulation would be easy to replace; but on further examination, I don't think that will be the case. It was cut and molded to fit around the motor compartment to allowed for exhaust air to escape, in specific shapes that I can't possibly duplicate. Has anyone else had this issue? Anyone dealt with Fein service? Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hank

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#2

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

Bruce Schoenleber

A long time ago I used a two part polyurethane that when mixed would create an open celled foam, had about a 5 minute open time. It saw use in the boat building/repair industry. It would fill any void into which it was poured. I don't know if it is still available, it worked well so the gov't may have banned it.

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#3

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

It is probably urethane foam and that stuff decomposes and maybe quicker in what could be an ozone environment resulting from motor brush sparks. Will this work....? Build up the insulation with non-expanding insulation foam. Trim to fit.

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#4

LRSmith

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine *LINK*

LRSmith

Mine has blow out also, I just haven't gotten around to working on it. Here's a link to a picture of the discontinued replacement part. I would assume the reference grid to be one inch square.


Replacement Foam

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#5

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

Hank Knight

Ah, so it's the ozone! That devil!

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#6

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

Hank Knight

Thanks to the link. Pictured is the piece that goes around the perimeter. There are several other larger block-like pieces that are gone too. I'm going to talk to my dealer and see it they can help. Probably not, but I'll give it a shot. I may decide to live with a noisy vac.

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#7

LRSmith

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine *LINK*

LRSmith

Well, there's always the ultimate option, and the shipping costs aren't bad:


Lid Assembly

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#8

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine *LINK*

John McGaw

Or try this link. If still in stock then the replacement foam pieces (2) come out to about $15. Google is (sometimes) your friend...


Fein Foam

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#9

WOW! Thanks for the links!


Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#10

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

Walt

I had the same thing happen. You can buy acoustic foam with one side self stick on Ebay. The foam makes a real difference in sound level. What I bought was too thick so I resawed it with a fine tooth 1/4" blade. The foam is fairly dense and it worked better than you might expect. The fit isn't perfect but it serves the purpose, the original foam was too far gone to use as a pattern.

Re: My Fein Is Not Fine

#11

mine crumbled too; do I need it?


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.