WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Posts

6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#1

6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Rancy Ceccotti

I have a vintage Rockwell serial #8E48C17T8H. I am missing the nut for the right side. I have the left which is a left-handed thread. The shaft measures 16MM. I have tried both fine and coarse threaded nuts and neither are compatible. Is the thread specific to Rockwell? Any help!!!!

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#2

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Gary Smyth

if you haven't already done this find a thread gauge. At least find out the threading. Then use thar ro find what you need. Lots of gauges to choose from-- the one shown is a Starrett-- others work just as well.

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#3

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Rancy Ceccotti

I have already done that. It is 20 TPI but where do I find a nut or does it have to be made. Nowhere in my area has 16MM with 20 tpi

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#4

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

JohnV

Granger's web site indicates they have it.

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#5

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Don Stephan

I didn't think Rockwell equipment was made with metric fasteners.

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#6

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I think you will find the nut to be 5/8"

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#7

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Keith Newton

I think Don is right. I don't think you could expect the shaft diameter to be metric, then find thread pitch in inches. A fine 5/8" is 18 tpi. If it is 16mm, then it would probably be .8mm to equal ~20 over 1".

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#8

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Mike Jurnigan in Zuni VA

The model number would be more helpful than the serial number.

Mike Jurnigan in Zuni VA

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#9

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Barry Irby

I have a similar grinder from about 1972. I can take the right nut off and look at it if you would like. Maybe Fastenal could match it.

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#10

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Chuck

If your thread is 20 tpi, then you most likely have a 1/2"-20 nut or threaded shaft

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#11

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

Rancy Ceccotti

Thanks for all your replies. I contacted Rockwell and I was incorrect. It is not a Grinder/Buffer though it does have 2 spindles. It is only considered a buffer. The model number is 438-02-314-0204. A Delta rep says it is also listed as a Lot #139. I have tried both 5/8" SAE both fine and coarse and 16MM metric both fine and coarse. Nothing is compatible. I do have a number for Renovo Parts but have not been able to reach them. Thanks for your help

Re: 6" Rockwell bench grinder/buffer

#12

Re: 6" Rockwell bench buffer

Rancy Ceccotti

FYI The nut I needed and found is a 5/8 X 13 Acme thread (not standard). After much searching I located a man named Steve at Delta Tech Service (800-223-7278). He is a walking encyclopedia on both Rockwell and Delta. If he cannot answer your question from memory he has an entire library at his disposal.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.